Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 02:30:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seiko or Juki?

Started by RPJR, October 08, 2013, 06:04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RPJR

I am considering a new sewing machine for my shop.  Looking a Seiko sth-8bld-3 and a Juki dnu-1541s. Which is the better machine, ease of use, etc...? Thanks.

sofadoc

Looking at the specs, the Seiko has slightly more max stitch length, and slightly more clearance under the presser foot (by knee).
The Juki has the centralized wick oiler for the top, and the automatic hook oiler on bottom. The Seiko is "Hand type" lubricated.
The Seiko is around $200 cheaper. Both made in Japan.

I've never sewed on a Seiko. I'm a devout Juki fan. But the Seiko looks interesting.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Not sure what kind of work you want to perform. But I have a Seiko clone called a Chandler. I have had it for approximately 3 years and never had a problem. It has had very heavy use as it was my primary machine and has never skipped a beat.

I also have a Juki 563 and have never had a problem with that. I just had a few new parts replaced as it also had some very heavy use ( boat factory machine ).

Both are very good machines, both are large bobbins but one is top feed and one is bottom feed. I myself prefer the bottom feed as they can be re-bobbined without having to remove your work. Simply reach under, replace the bobbin and keep sewing. You also do not typically have to hold the thread or worry about problems on start up.

The Juki is a high quality machine as is the Seiko. You cannot go wrong with either of them. They use the same attachments. If your on a tight budget then you may want to consider a Chandler or a Highlead. If money is not an object then the Juki or Seiko will serve you well.

Chris

baileyuph

Check with your vendor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Juki doesn't have Seiko parts in it.  Seiko has a lot of respect through out the industry.

Hence, just try out the machines and one might seem to fit you better.  I have both, no complaints, Japan metal might be an issue here.

Doyle