Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 08:20:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Downtime

Started by Mojo, September 19, 2013, 04:54:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on September 20, 2013, 03:51:34 am
I have no way of knowing if this was a typical snapshot of their days, but if I did what they did on a regular basis, I wouldn't have a business before long. It seems to me that there are probably a lot of people who work for large companies that don't require them to produce a whole lot most of the time.

That's why I don't have any employees. If I came in and caught them jerking off on MY time, I would probably go to prison for murder.

Remember what I always say. Unless their name is on the sign outside......they don't care.

I've often pondered when I see those workplace situations like Rich describes: If they would fire half of them, take that money and give it to the other half, it would (should) be the most productive/profitable company in the world.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

September 20, 2013, 09:19:04 am #16 Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:27:40 am by byhammerandhand
One of my favorite quotes and one that I would have framed on the wall behind the counter if I ever had a storefront:

"There is hardly anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and those people who consider price only, are this man's lawful prey. It is unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money - that is all.   When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot; it cannot be done.   If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better"

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Quote from: Eric on September 19, 2013, 10:30:19 am
Chris, I'd like to believe your right. But people seem to be going for cheaper and cheaper. Competitor did an enclosure with makrolon for $2000.00. He keeps getting work because he's cheap. And it looks cheap also.

I need Mikes setup, going fishing.
Eric

One of my sons-in-law step father is a real slacker.  He (the step-father) said his dad took pride in his job because he'd finish his factory "union" work in the morning, then found a place to hide and sleep all afternoon.   The son worked a bunch of jobs until he found out he could get some sort of disability payment from the brief time he'd been in the service and worked in a shipyard.   He then left his job.  Over the next few years, his house got foreclosed on, moved to an apartment, his car got repossessed, and he moved back in with his parents (at age 52!)    He still spends most of his day napping and waiting for his government check to come in, even though he's perfectly healthy for work.  True to form, he's a Renaissance Redneck, who seems to know everything about everything and is more than willing to tell you about it.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

I had a guy who is buying a pontoon  was going to testride this morning then said hed have it this afternoon  fot me to give him a price the saleman gave him my number and gave a good ballpark price.  well I call before luchtime to as I wss going out will he still be able to see me later.  oh he wont have the boat till Thursday but he saw a cover online for like 500 so he going to think on it :(

kodydog

Quote from: byhammerandhand on September 20, 2013, 09:19:04 am
True to form, he's a Renaissance Redneck, who seems to know everything about everything and is more than willing to tell you about it.

Somebody on this forum once said, there are some people you may not want in the work force.

The co-worker from hell recently quit the place I work. 1-1/2 looong years. The dude was delusional to say the least. Some people are better off on well fair and out of the general population.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html