Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 10:22:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Does this tool exist?

Started by ajlelectronics, September 19, 2013, 02:57:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ajlelectronics

I recently wanted to measure the outside dimensions of some intricate fabric shapes. The tool that would make life easy is a miniature version of a measuring wheel, as used for measuring out land etc. Does such an animal exist?

Mojo

I am sure it exists but not for upholsterers. I bet you will find it under tools for architects and engineers.

When I get real weird dimensions that I need I give the pattern to my brain trust ( wife ) and
either she figures it out or takes it to school and has her AP calculus class figure it out as a class room assignment. :)

Two weeks ago we decided to finish off an ambitious landscape project in our backyard. I got out the landscape wheel and went to town. After I got all the measurements I handed the paper to Ingrid and she calculated how many pavers, bricks, wall stones and mulch we would need.

Those wheels are cool as heck. I bought mine at Harbor Freight ( read cheap ) and have used it multiple times for fencing, sectioning off our property, measuring on our new property, etc. They are nice to have. A miniature version would be cool as well.

Chris

Mike

My dad had a architec. On the payrol once i remeber seeing a pen like tool.

Paver. Chris. ? I did this with ny new house 3 years ago a 10'x14' patio. Never again i eorked like he k digger out laying a base of stone then sand. Then pavers. It was the middle of summer i was in the pouring rain i didnt care i saw so sweaty anyway and my back. Uhhh
Dont call me. ;)

bobbin

When I have to measure the perimeter of a funky shaped pc. I use a soft tape measure (the kind you use to take body measurements).  I have one that is 120" long and while there is not "counter" it's a lot easier to use than the usual 60" variety. 

I also have a retractable tape measure that is flexible steel.  I bought it from Rowley.  It's a 16", with a lock mechanism, a hook for your belt, a pencil sharpener and wipe off place to jot the measurements.  I use it for quicky measurements when estimating a slipcover or arced window treatment. 

(Mike I have to lay pavers under an arbor this fall.  Want to enjoy foliage in Maine and help out, lol?)

Lo

I'd be thinking old school for measuring ... like using a piece of string to map out the shape and then measuring it for the length.

Kind of like when measuring between items (inside dimension) ... two shorter sticks pushed out with a pencil line across has been my go-to method. Am I showing my age?  ::)

Remember the 3-4-5 rule for checking squareness? Anyone??  ;D

Have y'all heard of a Disto? Great for measuring houses ... has a laser light. And those roller wheels ... nice too except for inside corners  ;) (my sister is an appraiser and these two tools are great for buildings).

Allan

September 22, 2013, 03:03:25 pm #5 Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:04:13 pm by Allan
There is an instrument called a Plainimeter that is used to measure eg the area of a lake or dam
There is also a pen like device with a wheel for measuring distances on a map
Not sure if they would help you

Allan