Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:17:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bad habits

Started by bobbin, September 20, 2013, 01:03:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Quote from: bobbin on September 21, 2013, 01:23:06 pm
I already own many of the less expensive items.  But there is machinery (= $$) that I'd like to add to the "fleet" and I'm nervous about spending the money at a time when current revenues are still unpredictable.  

I understand your concerns.
I was moving into more polycarbonate windows on the enclosures I do. The consew 206 would sew it, but it was a chore, so it made me hesitant to quote it. Since this was the path I wanted to go, I bought a new juki 1541 last year with a needle positioning servo motor. I sew poly now without any headaches, well worth money spent.
Eric

Mike

I do t want to derail bo vins thread   Eric can you pm me a out this nedle positioning servo. What it does?

Dede

Quote from: byhammerandhand on September 21, 2013, 03:11:49 pmBut not me, nope, I don't have a tool problem.

Of course you don't.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Rich

BTW Hammer. how many of those clamps did you buy at the sale?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

bobbin

Yeah, Mike.  I'm all done at my "straight job".  It was the last round of mega covers in heavyweight coverlite that iced it for me.  I'm not gettin' any younger and dragging that stuff up and over a machine bench was a total drag.  Ditto pool covers.  The husband is working at a new job that he loves.  It's been a long time since I've felt any nervousness about spending money on major tools!

Servos and needle positioning is a great, Mike.  Two of machines are set up that way.  Servos allow you to move the needle one stitch at a time, you can set the machine to stop with the needle up or down, and they're basically silent... no hum.  I can't wait to convert my overlock machine to a servo.   

byhammerandhand

September 22, 2013, 04:56:51 am #20 Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:19:36 pm by byhammerandhand
I'm not saying...

Quote from: Rich on September 22, 2013, 04:02:29 am
BTW Hammer. how many of those clamps did you buy at the sale?
Rich

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Some may think this issue is being "gummed" for sure.  In a discussion, as expected there are many perspectives all valid but can be subjective.

Bobbin I trust your judgment, you aren't going to do anything foolish.  Kody, I think made it simple, he said have a plan and buy it as you go and with priority.  Also, some have suggested looking for good quality used equipment which will save a bundle.  Some also say, yes tools are great but if you don't use them regularly, throttle back.  These are examples of different perspecives and are sound reasoning for the situation.

Another perspective rolled up into this issue is what does the business support when making a decision.  A logical question to crank into the decision what does the business volume support?  If the worker is slammed with work, then upgrading is less of a brainer.  If the work load isn't sufficient to keep the worker busy, then saving time isn't the same priority is it, for buying something to get done faster could create more idle time. 

The opposite situation where there is more work than time, then it is time to see what will help that situation.  This situation will vary from shop to shop. 

Mostly, what we are talking about is a lot of common sense regarding each shops situation.

Paul needs a automatic decorative nailer, another shop says "don't do enough?.  I had a series of chairs last month and did an inordinate number of nails by the old method.  Sure started to pull the trigger for a nailer.  If the nail requirement picks up, and may, it will get bought.  At this point, it isn't clear what the volume will be over the next two or three years? 

Personally, my business continues to grow and I thought the recession would throttle it back.  Well, there has been impacts, but the management decisions I made was to go in different directions and the result is; business is better than ever.  I don't do the same things, in the same volume, as years past but the adjustments of adapting to better opportunities is paying off. 

There is no shortage of work these days, so time is precious, I continue to look for ways to maintain quality or better and save a few minutes here and there.  It is working for me, but that is just a perspective.

A small, relatively low cost tool, was purchased yesterday that saved about 20 minutes on a 4 hour job and I expect the requirement to come up regularly.  I bought a wiggle tail (swivel device) for a small metric rachet system.  The brand "Snap on", it replaces one that wasn't as petite nor refined to work into tight places on truck seat repair work.  Other work was waiting, so easier to justify.  If it meant sitting waiting for the next job 20 minutes longer, well would it have been the same prioriy?

The little things can become important things. as well as major enhancements often do.  I have a vision of what could be done with computer and a digitizer system in the patterning activities of the business.  A little more cost but justifiable based on business volume.  This makes business more interesting (and profitable) because enhancements in a growing business environment creates a circle.  One allows things to get done better and faster which draws more consumer appeal which calls for greater efficiencies!

Fun stuff, is this experience happening for you?

Doyle

Mojo

Bobbin:

What your experiencing is very normal. Actually, you have a better grasp on things then some new business owners who I have seen spend themselves into bankruptcy. It is normal for intelligent people like yourself to fret over expenditures with a new business simply because your steering a ship in uncharted waters. You have no idea what next week will bring or for that matter next month. In time and once you have some operating experiences under your belt your going to know your cash flow position much better.

As a rule of thumb I keep several thousand dollars in the bank in the event I run into a slow period. Turns out I am into a slow period right now. I wont draw that savings down below $ 2 K. When I bought my new twin needle I waited till I had my account built up and then made my purchase preserving my rainy day fund.

Speaking of which, the twin needle was one of the smartest things we ever did. I have to credit my lovely and intelligent wife who pushed me into the purchase telling me " your kidding right ? You don't think this will pay for itself in a short period of time ". I pulled the trigger and it paid for itself in a little more then a months time just through time savings.

In regards to my woodshop, those purchases are all made from my fun money account. Woodworking is a hobby and has nothing to do with our business. It is a place for me to go and relax, have fun and enjoy time out of the Up-Shop. If I need a tool, I but it. I am grateful when my wife spent thousands on new machines for me as a retirement gift back in 2000. Now all I buy are little things like a new Porter Cable Lithium tool set ( drill, recip saw, impact driver, etc. ). One of my favorite purchases as of late was a pocket hole Jig I bought. fairly cheap but I love that stupid thing. :)

I don't think twice when buying something for the woodshop but analyze the hell out of everything I buy for the business. Crazy I know. Must be the years and years of doing cost benefit studies on major equipment for my previous employer that drove me to that mindset. :)

Your going to be fine Bobbin. :)

Chris

bobbin

I have to chuckle at this thread.  I am a machine junkie, no question about that! I just think sewing machines are cool; I love that they're designed for specific purposes and I love how they've evolved as technology has progressed over time.  I have quite an armada now; the variety reflects my ever evolving interests (clothing/marine/awning) and my interest in clothing and adding more refined/"tailored" details to slipcovers is what has me interested in a commercial buttonholer.  I know I would use it because it wouldn't be limited to one narrow aspect of my business.  But finding the right machine for the right money will be the "bugger". 

This is the same for all businesses.  Great young guy with a new landscaping business is doing some work for us and we talked about this very thing on Friday.  He was freaked out about buying a mini-excavator because of uncertain cash flow and the seasonal aspect of landscaping in New England.  His accountant asked about the money he was spending to rent a mini., and suggested that the price of a quality used machine would more than pay for itself when looked at through the prism of a defined time line.  He bought one and has found it saved him both time and money when the logistics of scheduling a rented pc. of equipment was factored into bids. 

So, I think the real key is to think about the timeline for a "capital investment", too.  $1K is a lot of cabbage for a new business with uneven cash flow, but viewed as a time saving machine that has multiple applications for various aspects of that business its value can viewed differently. 

(good move on the double needle, Chris.  Is yours a split needle bar or a single? split is more versatile for garment work because you can leave one needle buried, turn the work and use the two in unison; think topstitching on dungarees.)

Mike

September 22, 2013, 07:37:49 am #24 Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:44:35 am by Mike
Bobin can i ask  how you got sewing eork  while you were at your normal job? Did you advertise of word of mouth not from work contacts?   I used to worry myself sick. When i eould get slow. But before i actualy ran out i have alway had something turn up to keep me busy.  
Even this past year.  But this was the first time i did run out. For a week i had nothing to to. But ive gotton calls and a cover to do tomorow and more quote schedualed neck wee and  a couple maybes fron last week.    Ive beed soley living on this buisness alone  for the last 21 years

bobbin

I came from a clothing background and worked in tailoring and alterations for many years.  I had a nicely established client base and there was no conflict of interest.  Now I've begun to cast a wider net and my locations gives me a nice "jumping off point" to a different market than my former employer's base. 

Rich

Hammer-OK, I see, you bought all of them.

Doyle- I'm almost always behind in shop maintenance, improvement, cleanup, organization etc, I'd use those extra 20 minutes easily!
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mojo

Bobbin:

It is a single bar machine. It has a 1/2 " set up. Everything I sew in regards to canvas products is double stitched so this was a no brainer. It has really cut down on the time. The split car's were pretty expensive and since this machine will be used primarily for straight stitch runs I went with the single car.

I sew binding, curves and everything else with my Chandler. My wife stole the Juki 563 from me. She loves that machine. :)

Chris