Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 01:18:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Silver heat reflective fabric?

Started by raindodger, August 23, 2013, 02:44:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

raindodger

I'm going to build a couple stand up paddleboard bags for a customer.  I need a fabric that is reflective (UV and Heat) and abrasion resistant.  Does anyone know of any fabric that might work?  I was thinking like an aluminized fabric or something similar, but I'm worried about abrasion resistance.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

forsailbyowner

The latest flyer from Miami corp had shielding material for firewalls and sound compartments that might suit your needs.

raindodger

fragged8

I can get a silver heat reflecting material in the UK, it is a cotton twill like work coverall material with the coating.
Trouble is im in the UK so if you get really desperate I can ship it out but it wont be cheap

Rich

Mike

Never used the silver but if you want abraision resistance.  Miami sells outdure trio. It looks like normal outdura or sunbrella with a soft flannel / felt like linner. Ive used it on painted hulls

Bob T

A few years ago, I was looking for the exact same material to make windsurfing board bags.  At the time, Dakine was making board bags with a silver reflective material that had the useful lifespan of a house fly.  Luckily, I did find a fantastic material which far exceeded my expectations.  The material is made by Bruin Plastics and is called Bruin Energy Shield 200.  Items I made 10 years ago still look like they were made yesterday.  Fantastic product!  Can't say enough good about Bruin and Energy Shield 200.

Mojo

The material that Miami sells is actually sound deadening material. It is not a fabric but rather a sandwich of foil with a black medium in between that is like an asphalt type material. It is designed to absorb sound. One side peals off and is stuck to the surface it is soundproofing, like the metal inside a trunk.

I wouldn't run this through my machine for love or money. :)

What is ironic is that I ordered a roll of this material off e-bay for my Grand Vitara. The road noise in the back drives me nuts. 2 days after I ordered it I got this flyer from Miami with this product in it. Opp's......sorry Miami Mike. Speaking of which I will see if I can wake him up and get him onto this thread. :)

Chris

Miami Mike

I think the Bruin product will do the trick. I know the product and as Bob T said it has worked for him.

I do not think we have a one product that meets all the needs. Not sure if this will but I think it does most.

WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

raindodger

Thanks for all the replies, I looked up Bruin and contacted them, I think the Energy Shield 200 is just what I'm looking for, and it also helps to know its been proven in this application. 

Ive been searching for something like this for a while now, wish I would have asked earlier.  This place is Awesome!  Cant thank you guys enough!

Mike

Quote from: Mojo on August 25, 2013, 09:23:49 am
The material that Miami sells is actually sound deadening material. It is not a fabric but rather a sandwich of foil with a black medium in between that is like an asphalt type material. It is designed to absorb sound. One side peals off and is stuck to the surface it is soundproofing, like the metal inside a trunk.

I wouldn't run this through my machine for love or money. :)

What is ironic is that I ordered a roll of this material off e-bay for my Grand Vitara. The road noise in the back drives me nuts. 2 days after I ordered it I got this flyer from Miami with this product in it. Opp's......sorry Miami Mike. Speaking of which I will see if I can wake him up and get him onto this thread. :)

Chris
this sound like the sound deading material in a boat motor box

scottymc

Hi ,I make surfboard covers, I usually use 8oz canvas as I find it is cooler , lighter and lasts longer. I ride a SUP myself but would not make a SUP cover for anyone else as so far they have all done a 180 at the price.
Any one have a link to this bruin stuff as I'd like to have a bo peep at it, though I expect it will be to expensive for the purpose.
Tarpol is the silver stuff used on the better boardcovers, it has a 3 year u.v. warranty, bout $9 a meter. Versatex is used on the cheaper ones, bout $4 a meter.

Bob T

August 25, 2013, 09:43:50 pm #11 Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:48:37 pm by Bob T
This place has a great price on the product if you can use the roll size they have: http://www.qualitysurplus.com/100-yards-brun-energy-shield-200-10-oz-silver-54-817200.html

Maybe they can send you a sample?

Bob Thompson

scottymc

Thanks Bob, I'm in Aus. so I just wanted to get a bit of a look at what it was, googled it can't find anything. Probably not available here.

Bob T

August 27, 2013, 07:08:57 am #13 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:13:25 am by Bob T
I've seen a very similar product on some of the more current Dakine board bags however, I don't think it is the Bruin Energy Shield Dakine is using.   As for board bags, I was never real fond of the plastic liner material Dakine uses so when I made bags for my own use, I lined them with thick black automotive trunk liner carpet.  It provides a nice cushion for the board and it provides a "slippery" surface to slide the board against when putting the board in or taking it out.