Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 02:44:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Anyone here get painful thumbs ?

Started by Grebo, July 01, 2013, 09:31:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I had a bit of an altercation with my two dogs, as in separating the little baskets as they were fighting.
When my left thumb started aching soon after, along with shoulders & arms BTW. I assumed I had just strained something But now my right thumb has started aching the same way. I have been pretty busy so I was wondering if it's on the list as an occupational hazard ?

Suzi

sofadoc

Any numbness? You might have plaque buildup in your arteries. Eat more fruits and raw veggies.

But don't listen to me.......I'm a couch Doc. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

July 01, 2013, 07:34:18 pm #2 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:35:06 pm by gene
I like a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie with a big chunk of sauerkraut on top. Now that will cure anything that ails you.

It sounds like you may have 'pulled' a back muscle that is putting pressure on your spine. If running hot water on your back in the shower helps to alleviate the pain, that may be the cause.

Do a search on this forum and you will be amazed at all the aches and pains that the old timers have gone through. My hands are taking a real beating after just 9 years. I can only imagine how difficult it will be in 25 more years.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Grebo

Well I haven't got any cookies, but I bet a currywurst might do the job.

No numbness just an ache, cold water on the hands is soothing, hot on the back make's no difference, but thanks for the thought.

Off for a searching  ;D

Suzi

jojo

Suzi,
Do they pop? I have "trigger thumb" It's actually called trigger finger, but in my case it's the thumbs.  I think Mike also mentioned having this. They lock a few times a day, and when I bend them they make a cracking sound, and it is painful.
Sometimes I have to take a break when snapping a cover on....the thumbs simply stop working.

Grebo

July 02, 2013, 10:06:54 am #5 Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:07:41 am by Grebo
No popping here jojo. But they do hurt more when I bend them.
I noticed a certain lack of strength in the hands as well.  :'(
Probably just age catching up, just odd that's it's all of a sudden.  
Might try some cod liver oil, supposed to be good for all sorts.

Suzi

Mojo

My right thumb will hurt like crazy if I have been doing alot of folds and creases on awning edges.

I recently bought a big stainless roller and that has eliminated the need to use my thumb.

Chris

Grebo

July 04, 2013, 01:23:13 am #7 Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:28:06 am by Grebo
Sounds good Chris.
Could be the course.
Well I solved the problem on the right, got bitten by one of the dogs, no sewing for a while.

Suzi

baileyuph

Painful thumbs.........?  Well, the thing I noticed this week, all of the above.  LOL.  The work load has been very heavy, a lot of staples have been removed and I can tell it in my right hand (right handed) which gets the most use. 

Anyway, hope things get better for you.  We type sure need strong hands and feet in this business.

Doyle

Mike

Quote from: jojo on July 02, 2013, 05:57:09 am
Suzi,
Do they pop? I have "trigger thumb" It's actually called trigger finger, but in my case it's the thumbs.  I think Mike also mentioned having this. They lock a few times a day, and when I bend them they make a cracking sound, and it is painful.
Sometimes I have to take a break when snapping a cover on....the thumbs simply stop working.

your right jojo
I forgot about that it just went away  I had to help bend it with my other hand

regalman190

Jojo, Mike

I have the same problem with my thumbs. They lock in the closed position and I have to force them open.

It's like they have a mind of their own! :)
Regal Canvas

Allan

Regalman

That sounds like trigger finger to me
My wife had the same problem on both her hands but with the first and second fingers
She was working at a nurse and she had trouble giving injections so she gave up nursing and had an operation on her fingers
They are better now after two years but not perfect
Get them looked at before they get too bad

Allan

Mike

July 10, 2013, 05:45:57 pm #12 Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:46:38 pm by Mike
i only had trigger thumb on the right hand .  but it wenr away and I forgot all about it