Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 04:08:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rawhide mallet

Started by DDandJ, July 20, 2013, 02:10:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

So I finally splurged and bought a rawhide mallet from my local supplier.  I had been using a rubber mallet I bought from the hardware store years ago.  Remember, I'm trying to become professional ;)

I've watched several videos on Youtube in which upholsterers are using a rawhide mallet and I see that they've covered one end of the mallet.  Is this so that it won't mar the fabric?  What would I use to cover one end of the mallet and is it necessary?

I will say that the rawhide mallet is much better for driving in metal tack strip than the rubber mallet.

I also bought the yellow handled CS Osborne staple puller.  I think I'm going to like it better than the Berry's staple puller I've been using.  That could vary on the project, I suppose.

Jeremy

MinUph

I cover mine with a layer of leather and then a layer of like velvet or anything soft. First make sure the ends are smooth. Run them on a sander to make them nice and flat.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I found a yellow handled CS Osborn staple puller in a chair a few years ago and have been using it as my primary staple puller ever since.

I like to sing the theme song from Rawhide when I'm using my rawhide mallet. It just doesn't work to sing that song when I'm using a rubber mallet.

I also cover the mallet head with a soft fabric.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I love my rawhide mallet. I seldom find it necessary to put any additional wrapping on it.

As for the yellow handled Osborne, I must be the only upholsterer who still prefers the Berry's. But I use a wide variety of staple/tack pulling tools, depending on the particular situation:

A lot of people use side cutters (dikes) for pulling/cutting broken staples. To me, the nippers (similar to pincers) work better.

If stripping furniture were an Olympic event, and the rules stated that you could only use 2 tools, I'll take my Berry's and my converted tile nippers. And I'll bring home the Gold! ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

30 years ago my bro-in-law made me a wood mallet. A 4-1/2" block of wood with a 1-1/2 " dowel drilled into it. I covered it with leather and recover it about once a year. Works great.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

My favorite is a deadblow hammer that I picked up from a liquidator a couple of years ago at a woodworking show.   I went back last winter and they were sold out.  They did have a few of the replaceable heads left (in various hardnesses).   I'll be sad if I ever lose or break this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTWING-28OZ-DEAD-BLOW-HAMMER-MALLET-SOFT-TOUGH-TIP-USA-/170789986070
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison