Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:17:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How's It Made?

Started by jojo, June 19, 2013, 08:18:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Quote from: gene on June 21, 2013, 07:21:57 am

Does anyone have something that they think is more complex? Probably in marine?

gene

I wouldn't say "more" complex, but it had me scratching my head for a bit - one was a loose cushion with a 360 degree knee bolster, but worse than that was a 5-segment jointed bow cushion with no separate flap in between segments.  Usually segmented (foldable) cushions have an inch or two of vinyl stretched between them that forms the hinge.  This was done without "hinges".  Each cushion segment had to be assembled and one seam allowance on the bottom, rather than being sewn right-sides-together, was inserted into the seam of the next larger segment.  Confused yet?  The last segment was awful.  It got so heavy and having all that vinyl up inside the next segment for stitching was a nightmare.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

June 22, 2013, 06:06:48 am #16 Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:11:13 pm by DB
June,

Yes, that could get rather bulky after a couple segments, makes one wonder how the factory did it with their usual or expected efficiency.  That would make an interesting analysis.

They seem to not do things unless it can be done relatively fast.

How did you do that in a small space, or did you?  My sewing tables would need expanding from the get go, but to where, the parking lot? LOL.  Sounds like to make things worse-- all vinyl.

What we do to make a living!

Doyle