Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 08:31:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cutting table & rotary cutters

Started by sunshine_n_pc, June 10, 2013, 09:29:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine_n_pc

We are making custom fender covers for car mechanics.  Business has been growing so we've had to ramp up our work space.  Built a 6ft by 12ft cutting table this weekend with a melamine top.   I'm cutting 4-6 layers of vinyl at a time using an Olfa rotary cutter.  My olfa blades seem to be dulling out fairly quickly.  I have the largest Olfa mat they make but some of my patterns are bigger than the mat.  And, if I try to use the mat and then move it, I mess up my layers. 

1.  Is there a better surface to put on my cutting table to help prolong the life of the blades?  We are sharpening the blades but I know that won't last forever and blades are expensive. 

2.  Is there anything better to cut around patterns?  I have an electric rotary cutter but the foot goes under the vinyl and it won't go up next to the pattern (we've transferred patterns to 1/8" fake wood/plastic material). 

Thanks for any advice,

CeCe

Grebo

Have you seen these  :o
http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalog-cutting-mats--knifes----sissors-cutting-mats-super-size-cutting-mats.html

I love using the rotary cutter when ever possible, it's such a nice clean cut, if you are cutting though that much vinyl in one go, I am not surprised it's getting blunt  :) .

IMPO  I think you are probably using the best method.
Unless you can 'standardize' some of the shapes & may be get them stamped out somewhere.

Suzi

cthomps

I have a few olfa mats put together on my cutting table.  I used poster tack to stick them down.  Not the best solution, since sometimes you get a couple threads that don't cut because of the join.  I have a friend that has the white mats on her huge table.  I really do not like the feel of cutting on them for some reason.  The don't seem to "heal" like the Olfa brand does.

Also, I cut my production patterns out of plexi.  I clamp it to plywood, cut it with a jigsaw, then I grind it to my finish pattern line if necessary.  After all that, I can stack and wack with my rotary cutter.  (if I had a band saw, most of the above mentioned steps would be eliminated.)
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Allan

I suggest you go to a plastic supplier and buy an 8 x 4 sheet of the same material the mats are made from
The supplier should be able to identify the material

Allan

momto3fatdogs

I do not know who the vendor/supplier is, but you CAN buy the white self healing mats to fit your table. They have them at quilting/fabric stores, so I know you CAN get them. Olfa is the top of the line, but they are the top of the cost line too. the white mats cut & scar deeper then the green ones, but they are the only ones I have seen in 4X8 size too.

Sam

scottymc

Quote from: sunshine_n_pc on June 10, 2013, 09:29:25 am

2.  Is there anything better to cut around patterns?  I have an electric rotary cutter but the foot goes under the vinyl and it won't go up next to the pattern (we've transferred patterns to 1/8" fake wood/plastic material). 

Thanks for any advice,

CeCe

I have an electric rotary cutter and mark the pattern with chalk then use the electric cutter, would have to be much quicker and easier than doing it with a by hand.

momto3fatdogs

Totally un-related to this post, but you'll never guess what I used to cut foam with over the weekend? I was actually astounded that it worked. I used the band saw in my husband's "shop"! Cut right through it, crisp cut too. I thought it would EAT IT or be cutting too fast & maybe burn. Worked perfect. I think I can get 6 inches under there. I'll use this trick again, I am sure.

Sam

Rich

I've cut up to 8 layers of Naugahyde with an Eastman Chickadee, but for anything more than that a larger round knife cutter is what's needed. I've never tried a straight knife, but it would have the advantage of making a true vertical cut enabling the waste to be pulled free from every layer.  I don't know how many of these you're making, but time is money and if you can cut 20 layers in the time it takes to cut 8 using a larger machine, it may be worth the extra cost.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sunshine_n_pc

Wow, you all have opened a whole new world to me. I had no idea such tools existed. Time is definitely money.  I've been working long hours 7 days/a week lately. Late nights. I've got to find ways to get
Some time back. Cutting the pieces takes about 1/2 the time.  Putting the pattern onto 1/8 inch plastic board definetlysped things up.   But if i could cut10 -12 layer at a time that would be awesome. Anybody got any experience with using the lower end ones (under $500)? 

Rich

Oh and one more thing. I think you said you were cutting around the pattern? I perforate paper or plastic and use stamping powder to leave a dotted chalk line on the top layer. It's much faster than marking with chalk and there's no pattern edge to get in the way of your tool. You could look for a used tool, they hold up pretty well.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!