Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 09:31:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Am Envious :(

Started by Mojo, May 11, 2013, 08:15:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I always knew my shop was small but after reading this article I now KNOW it is dang small.

Wow, 33,000 sq ft of shop space ? Some of these marine people have massive shops. I loved this
article because it painted the picture of a few of these people who had very humble beginnings ( like many of us had ). Patio's, garages, basements, these guys started very small. I myself started in the front end of an 8 x 20 enclosed trailer. The back end was personal storage so my work area was 8 x 12. My cutting table was actually the rear ramp door of the trailer. I wouldn't want to relive those days for nothing. :)

Just wanted to post this article as I found it very interesting reading. Enjoy. :)

http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0513_f2_ideal_shop.html

Chris

Mike

I started sewing  in a 16 by 14 sewing room mostly working outside  along side my little tackle store.  I have 1000sf now but that sounds like alont of headache to me 42 employees  at most I had 1. I see  mike Erickson shop in riverera beach quite often on ship shape tv featured on the show

Mojo

Yeah his shop is over by June. I am sure June has heard of him.

Chris

Mike

A couple saturdays ago i picked up my new outboard in riviera i thought about scoping it out. But that was. Ecore i left at. 530am to get there early and had a 3 bour drive back then having to remove a 400 akward motor from my van.

Mojo

The boss and I are still discussing building a new shop out back or on the property we just bought next door. I really want more space and thought about leasing but we have so much land that building one would probably be a better alternative for us.

I want to be able to install a much lager cutting table and be able to keep two machines going at once if I have to. But the wife will not let me do anything unless I can pay cash. I am hoping business stays steady so I will hopefully have the cash by the end of the year.

In the meantime I have been drawing up floor plans just in case ( and to dream a little ). :)

Chris

Mike

May 12, 2013, 09:36:20 am #5 Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:36:50 am by Mike
perhaps something the rv could fit in with the tables gone when you decide to stop working so that the building would still be prectical

Mojo

Actually Mike I am thinking of that. Maybe a 16 ft tall carport with a lean too off that for my shop.
I sure wished I had Dennis' money. :)

Chris