Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 06:29:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

fixing the mfg's problems

Started by gene, April 11, 2013, 06:47:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

April 11, 2013, 06:47:57 am Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:52:04 am by gene
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/genejoe/media/TCSHeadboard001_zpsd30da911.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s830.photobucket.com/user/genejoe/media/TCSHeadboard002_zpsa6bd86cf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s830.photobucket.com/user/genejoe/media/TCSHeadboard003_zpsa713980e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s830.photobucket.com/user/genejoe/media/TCSHeadboard005_zps82ddb535.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

A customer of mine bought this for the homeowner. The vertical lines on the fabric are not vertical.

My guess is that the right side (looking at the headboard from the front) looks bad only because the left side has that obvious pull in the fabric.

I do not think I can fix the left side pull because the side welt cord was sewn on the fabric in such a way that the pull needs to be there to keep the side welt cord straight. If I release the fabric to eliminate the 'pull in', then the side welt cord will not be straight.

A penny (Canadian penny) for your thoughts.

Thank you,

Gene

PS: When I look at the lines in the fabric, I'm not even sure what is causing the 'pull in' on the left side. The vertical lines on the fabric seem to be OK.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

gene

The mfg told my customer that all you have to do is loose the staples by the welt cord on the face of the headboard and this will allow you to pull out the fabric just enough to eliminate the 'pull in'. What? How do you loose the staples, and then how do you put them back it?

My thought now is that all the fabric on the entire corner of the headboard needs to be loosened so you can get to that area by the face welt cord from underneath and take the staples out, pull a bit of the fabric out if there is any fabric, and then put everything back together again.

It sound like a bit more work than just prying up a staple with a staple puller.

gene

sofadoc

You might be able to relax the "pull" a little bit by prying up a few staples on the inside welt cord. But you would have to re-attach  it by "burying" a new staple under the cord. It's kinda risky.

But I don't think you can do anything about the overall vertical stripes "tailing off" a little as they go down the side of the headboard.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

You would need to order some fabric and make the band over. Stripes are hard for a design like that.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Thank you for the feedback. I also asked an upholsterer here in town about it. I asked him if he would want to do this job and he said 'no'. He didn't even want to give me an estimate.

This is the kind of job that looks really easy to fix, but once you put your staple puller to it, you now own the entire problem.
Quotekinda risky
for sure.

And, what if there is not enough fabric to release, then you have spent a lot of time with no solution.

New fabric to make the band over is probably the only way to go, but you would have to take it all apart, or hand stitch the top 45 degree seams.

I felt bad not being able to help my customer on this. But I think I would have done a greater disservice if I had tried.

Thanks again.

gene

byhammerandhand

In my prior career, "all you have to do is..." was usually a cue to run the other way.   Never that easy.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

April 16, 2013, 07:24:04 pm #6 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:24:30 pm by MinUph
Gene,
 I am in the process of building a complex bordered headboard in a pinstripe silk. I did the band in one piece upholstered on a panel that will be bolted on the main frame. The corners are as you have them pictured. The best I could get them is about equal to your factory job.
 I see in your picture there is a welt and it looks as if the sewing is the issue on that one. The pattern runs off at the welt. Mine is pulled tight all around one piece. I will put a top band on after the border is installed. I'd post pics but am not proud of this one. If I get it looking better I will but I know those corners are as good as I will get them.
 Just wanted to follow up on this. Not a good design for stripes.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on April 16, 2013, 07:24:04 pm
I did the band in one piece upholstered on a panel that will be bolted on the main frame.
I've been thinking that next time I get one of those jobs, I'm going to do just the opposite.........the band will be upholstered first......then the center panel will be bolted on.

Normally, if it's left up to ME.........I run the band stripes horizontally going down the sides.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban