Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 04, 2024, 02:49:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

We Can Talk

Started by baileyuph, March 05, 2013, 06:03:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

west coast

When I worked for a big manufacture back in the 70`s and 80`s I was a framer. I got all the pieces on carts took the amount of sets I wanted of the style we were doing and I would preassemble as much as I could. Not blowing my own horn but I was young and fast, the record for a chair was just under 5 minutes and the sofa record was just under 7 minutes. I worked hard at it though, during coffee breaks I sat on my bench and had a smoke while I grabbed handfulls of screws and turned them all the same way. I built a box big enough to put a block of latex rubber in and filled it with glue so I just had to put the ends of the rails into the latex and poof they were glued.  We had 3 framers supplying 4 springers who supplied 12 upholsterers. I never worked a Friday and most of my pay checks were 28-32 hours the last year I worked there in 81. I made 25000 that year and had the world by the butt my how times have changed. I bought my first new truck in 1976 paid 6995 and the following year traded it in on another new one that was a 4x4 7995.

baileyuph

Those times are impressive!

Do you remember if the frames were of quality lumber?  And back then you probably used more dowels?

Impressive, shows it can be done.

The phase I that would be interesting to watch is foam installation in cushions, the air is literally sucked out and the foam is slipped in very easily.

Doyle