Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 05:26:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Heavy sofa

Started by gene, March 24, 2013, 08:07:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy,

I am working on the heaviest sofa I have ever had.

I took pics but left them at the studio.

It's a big sofa, 96" long and 44" deep, but I can't believe the weight. I had to use straps just to get it up on my saw horses.

I've had a few big sofas before, but nothing this heavy.

I think I will leave the existing cambric on the bottom and just pull down the new fabric, fold if under so there will be no exposed edge under the sofa, and staple it under the sofa. It has a skirt for this won't be any problem.

I don't think I can turn the sofa upside down on the saw horses. It's just too heavy even with a second person to help.

Does anyone have any special ways of dealing with super heavy furniture?

I took of the old fabric yesterday and did not find any cinder blocks inside, which would not have surprised me if I had.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Simple machines:
* Lever
* Wheel and axle
* Pully
* Inclined plane
* Wedge
* Screw

...or have a beefy friend.

I have the bottom half of a sleeper sofa in the shop now.  The owner took off the (Sleep Number)
mattress and the back and it still has to weigh close to 160 lb.    I can't imagine what it weighs fully loaded.

Quote from: gene on March 24, 2013, 08:07:42 am

Does anyone have any special ways of dealing with super heavy furniture?

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I made a rolling table out of scaffolding:

For extra heavy sofas, I roll this table outside to my truck, and slide the couch right off the tailgate onto the table. Then roll it back inside. It REALLY comes in handy when women drop-off/pick-up their furniture (I'm able to load/unload the piece by myself). Many heavy sofas come and go from my shop without ever leaving the cart.

I despise sawhorses. I keep one modified pair around just for the occasional oversized and/or odd-shaped piece.
I use them maybe twice a year.

I also modified a dolly, so the sofa legs don't drag the ground:

I had to replace the pneumatic tires with hard plastic ones. Pneumatic tires are a "no-no" in an upholstery shop!

But the most vital necessity is: A strong back, and a weak mind! ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I too prefer a table to sawhorses as it is easier to roll a sofa onto what ever side you need on a table. You can do the same thing if you have a second set of sawhorses to put end to end with the first set. No lifting---just rolling it over.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

Quote[It's a big sofa, 96" long and 44" deep, but I can't believe the weight. I had to use straps just to get it up on my saw horses/quote]

That is a large one, it would be tough to do on a pair of horses.  I like Darren's suggestion of using two pair of horses, Dennis has the ticket also.

Good ideas, the sofa must be for an institution, so large.

Doyle