Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 04:16:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Stitch lengths

Started by jsquail, March 05, 2013, 10:26:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

I was wondering what size stitch lengths everyone uses for sewing Marine enclosures and for upholstery?

I ask because i am having difficulty with my stitching around corners on upholstery when using pre-made seaquest  welting. I have a welt foot with the cut out in the rear.  I typically use a 7.5-8 stitch on enclosure curtains and upholstery. I also tried a shorter stitch length(6) on the upholstery and it seems to tighten the vinyl to the welt better. I am using a consew 206rb5.

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

JuneC

7.5 stitches per inch?  or 7.5 mm stitches?  Big difference...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

scarab29

Same machine , I set the stitch length to like 8  on vinyl . Just did a bunch with seaquest sewing a couple layers + welt and 1/4 sew foam. Foot with the back cut out , sewing with the boxing side up and works like a champ , you can't see a stitch in the corners at all. I'm always wary of too small a stitch length with vinyl. Whoever did these the last time was not and the small stitch length made the vinyl tear an a few spots. The # on the wheel will vary from machine to machine as I have 2 of these machines and they are different at the same # on the dial.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

jsquail

Thanks Scarab. I sew mine boxing side up as well. I just can t seem to get the corners tight with a setting of 7.5 or 8. If i move it down to 6 they tighten up nicely.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

JDUpholstery

I run an 8 as well on vinyl...never had a problem with loose welting though...an 8 on a consew 206 RB5is about 4 stitches per inch for Junes reference...

Can-Vas

Used to run 8 on my Consew 206.  Moved it back to about 7 or 7 1/4 since I started using PFTE thread now almost exclusively.
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Mike

nice to see you howard ;D

Darren Henry

Yeah; long time no read. How's tricks out on the "Wet" coast,eh?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Can-Vas

Thanks Mike and Darren

Wet, but don't have to break ice to get the boat out, Darren  :P

Anywayz;  have more than enough work to keep an old, semi-retired hound dog like myself out of trouble!

Just finished a sailboat dodger and bimini;  now starting a convertible top with aft curtains and have another sailboat on the waiting list...   and I'm supposed to be doing this only part-time!  Have had to turn down 3 jobs in the last month - so can''t complain really.
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Mike

I dont breace to get my boat out.  Just the ice in my glass;)

What was that beer you brought me howard i was trying to remember the other day?

Mike

I sew canvas about 4 sischs per 1". About 8 doing   Inyl i dont like the seams to pull open on tight  skins.