Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 10:27:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

More restaurant booth talk (sort of)

Started by sofadoc, May 26, 2013, 06:40:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I was watching an episode of 'Mystery Diners' on TV yesterday that reminded of a similar situation that happened in one of the local eateries that I recover the booths for.

On the TV show, the hidden cameras caught the vengeful female manager instructing the hostess NOT to seat anyone in the section where her ex-boyfriend was waiting tables. And any attractive waitress who flirted with her ex was also 'shut out'.

I was recovering booths at a local place last year. The owner allowed me to pick up 6 booth seats at a time.
The female manager on duty would always have me take all 6 from the same waitress's section. When I came back for another load, she moved that waitress to the new section that I would be 'gutting'. On the 3rd trip, a huge 'cat fight' broke out. I found out several months later that the whole thing stemmed from the 2 vying for the same man.

Do you ever notice at you favorite restaurant, that one waiter always seems to get the well-dressed, big-tipping businessmen seated in his/her section? While the other waiter always gets the families with 5 screaming kids? You might think they do it that way so as not to disturb the businessmen, but the sections seem to vary from one night to the next.

It makes you wonder what underlying reasons may be at play.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

In the real world, maybe there is opportunity in providing quick turn around, like more money for the job if done during slow business hours.  Hard to say what internal motives are going on, LOL.

Do any of you make patterns, have the sewing done and recover/build on site?  That would depend on the weather here and would require a portable compressor (problem solvable).  I assume one would have to do the work outside?

So, bottom line -  the games the waiters play!

Doyle

Darren Henry

QuoteDo any of you make patterns, have the sewing done and recover/build on site?  That would depend on the weather here and would require a portable compressor (problem solvable).  I assume one would have to do the work outside?

I have templates for most of our regular restaurant customers but don't pre-sew anything until I know exactly which booths will be done. Most places here have at least two sizes,usually two colours,and a couple of them have different styles.

While I do occasionally set up a mobile shop in one of our cube vans; it really isn't worth it for these types of jobs as brandon is small enough that I can get clear across the city in < 1/2 hour.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!