Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 04:14:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

interesting book

Started by gene, March 16, 2013, 05:42:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Some of you folks on this board were probably in school when this book was first printed.

I thought it makes an interesting read.

gene

http://www.scribd.com/doc/62848811/Furniture-Upholstery-for-Schools-1920
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

jojo

Wow, thanks for posting this, Gene! Funny how the tools haven't changed much. Materials, yes, but tools, no.
And yeah, I remember when this book first came out.  :P

sofadoc

March 16, 2013, 07:10:36 pm #2 Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:34:19 pm by sofadoc
Gimp: 3 cents a yard.
Nailheads: 80 cents per 1000
Fabric: $2-$3 per yard
EXPENSIVE fabric: $10 per yard

The book explains that the above prices are wholesale.

For those of you who are too young to remember, the term "wholesale" referred to fabric and supply item prices that were ONLY available to members of the trade.

Now.....EVERYBODY pays the same. Sure, our suppliers still like to use the word "wholesale", though.

Just think.......back when that book first came out, Gene got accused of "highway robbery" for marking gimp up to 6 cents a yard. :o
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

March 17, 2013, 04:05:26 am #3 Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:06:26 am by Mojo
I am going to guess that this was the same textbook gene, Dennis and Ed used back when they were in school. This was obviously written when none of them knew how to pour piss from a boot. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on March 17, 2013, 04:05:26 am
I am going to guess that this was the same textbook gene, Dennis and Ed used back when they were in school.
Ah.....yes. It's all coming back to me now. Paul was our teacher (and he was old THEN).

I had to be careful walking to school, because there was a bully named Chris who would beat me up and take my gimp money.  :'(
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Rich

Add foam dacron and staples and multiply the prices by a factor of about 18 and you've got a revised edition!
It's true, not much ever changes in this business.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Darren Henry

When I apprenticed as a shoemaker in the late 80's my Master had a text book "Modern Shoemaking" ; printed in 1954.Other than being a little scimp on glued shoes it was just valid as the day it was written.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!