Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 03:38:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

boxed cushion cover

Started by gene, February 14, 2013, 06:35:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453QuJnSTUw

There's been a lot of talk over the years on this forum about making boxed cushion covers. Here's a great video by Kim at Kim's Upholstery.

I watched this video this evening. I have 3 boxed cushion covers to make tomorrow and I'm going to try her method of sewing in the zipper.

Check out her other videos also. I remember seeing her headboard videos a few years ago and I got a lot out of them.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Personally, I never liked pre-sewing the welt. Sometimes it's hard to hide the stitches as you round a corner.
I sew the welt to the top panel in one pass. Then I add the boxing. My method of overlapping the zipper with the boxing is similar to Kim's.

But I'm always willing to try a different method. I'll give Kim's technique a spin.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

zanepurcell

i have seen putting cording on the face and it not being premade, i have seen making cording first and then applying it to the face and then putting on the box but i have never seen making cording first and then sewing face and boxing at once like that. Her method would be faster than others, but for a beginner or a first time, that method could go wrong or be hard to understand. My favorite video for a box welt cushion cover is as follows. I also make my zipper panel longer so its easier to stuff,
Zane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj_1s5hBNqw

gene

She's got an easier way to put in the zippers than I have been doing. I've been doing too much measuring. Trying to get the zipper the correct length, making sure my pockets match up if I have two pockets. I would cut the end of the  boxing to match the zipper.

Setting the pocket length and then just folding over the excess boxing is much faster and less hectic especially if I have a really big boxed cushion cover that I am sewing.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

As always: there is more than one way to skin a cat. I didn't see how Kim prepared her zipper boxing,but I'll share my "differences" from the second video.

I seldom do the pockets at the end [although I like the ability to "fudge" things a bit if the fabric is unruly] , but when I do I prefer the look of the way I was taught. Leave 1 1/2 " of salvage at the end where the slider will be when closed. Sew your boxing to the zipper boxing starting at the 1 1/2" and sew up to the zipper tape, and make a 90 * turn towards the end of the zipper. Sew down to the 1/2" mark, turn again and cross the zipper,Another 90 and head back to the 1 1/2" mark and then out. I just like the look of the smaller pocket,and there is less "stuff" can get in there.

Whether I put in pockets or not I cut my boxing too long and my zipper boxing " as I want it to be". When I get back 'round to the end , I do as the chap in second vid does with his welt.

When ever I sew across a zipper I put a 1/2" X 1" piece of fabric over the zipper to prevent the tread being broken by the teeth.

I prefer to separate the zipper and load my sliders in "close mode". This way the distal end is closed when you sew over it ; no worries about alignment of the teeth.

I glue the fold over the zipper. Two reasons for that; one less factor to sweat as you sew and if for whatever reason you miss the salvage with the needle, it doesn't require a redo. To do it takes seconds. For me explain will take a while. Obviously I have to add 1" to the boxing width. I always cut the zipper boxing as one piece and then cut it down the centre. The pattern HAS to line up even if the roll is stretched a bit . The half nearest me, I grab the left edge with my right hand and flip it over to my right. ( ;)use a mirror Mike  :-*). The other piece I fold over "down towards me" . that puts the two cut edges together. Slide the top piece down to expose 1" of the bottom piece and give them a shot of aerosol glue,book them 1/2" and badda boom budda bing.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!