Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 07:18:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Old folks and recliners....

Started by JDUpholstery, February 06, 2013, 08:16:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I don't remember this dog issue being like it is today, when I was growing up.  Why are there so many dogs everywhere, well dumb question, I suppose (people wan them). 

Then, proliferation stems from puppy mills (small business just trying to make a living). 

In business, sure is a lot of stuff coming in the door, all chewed up.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on February 09, 2013, 06:46:07 am
I don't remember this dog issue being like it is today, when I was growing up.  Why are there so many dogs everywhere, well dumb question, I suppose (people wan them). 
When WE were growing up, a problem dog was quickly dealt with without any fear of legal action by the dog's owner. As a kid growing up in a rural area, I accepted the fact that if my dog wandered onto someone else's property, he may not come back alive.

And back then, people valued a human life more than that of a dog.

At least a dozen times a year, there is a story on the evening news about a child being mauled by a dog. And the dog's owner is fighting local authorities who want to have him put down.

Quote from: DB on February 09, 2013, 06:46:07 am
In business, sure is a lot of stuff coming in the door, all chewed up.
I posted this pic a few months back:

I finally got around to recovering the sofa. It was a long battle with the customer who kept insisting that I could just wave my magic wand, and make all the doggie damage go away. She finally relented to a complete recover.

We sat the sofa down in her garage for a moment in order to make room for it in the house. By the time we got back to the garage, her Pit Bull had already got loose, and chewed on one of the corners.

I know this topic started out about the elderly coping with recliner mechs, but remember JD......YOU opened this can of worms when you mentioned the dog bite. ;)...............Oh yeah, speaking of worms.................... :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JDUpholstery

lol, I don't mind anymore in fact I get a kick out of seeing where topics will go now that I have gotten used to dealing with scatterbrained upholsterers who spend too much time sniffing glue!

Darren Henry

We've already headed off; I might as well throw in a left turn for good measure:

QuoteAnd back then, people valued a human life more than that of a dog.

And the key to that is that it was not their life that was the centre of the world; it was everyone's life that got considered.

I don't see a difference in the canine population here as far numbers, but I do see a huge deterioration in the way humans conduct themselves and supervise those they are responsible for,namely pets and children. [ :o,Oh 'ya, I'll go there]

There  were no "Barney" videos when my sister and I were being RAISED. Mom and Dad had to do it manually, and they did it with the expectation that we would learn respect for our neighbours, responsibility, and a work ethic, because they wanted to be positive members of society. The same sense of community ( if you would) was applied to looking after pets , supporting community projects, and life in general. If some one had a "problem dog" they took care of it themselves.That could be as simple as making sure Fido was in the bedroom when the guy came to read the water meter 'cause the meter man was affraid of dogs--- or it could be putting a good cattle dog down 'cause he wouldn't stay home, of he bit someone. PET OWNERS FELT A SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY TO THEIR NEIGHBOURS.

Now days it's drop the offspring off at daycare [to watch "Barney" videos and get therapy] and lock the dog in the garage while I go get the tanning session the world OWES me. It's all about "me" and "now" with people.

I keep bringing children up only because we observe them more than people's pets. The next time your in a mall or restaurant; watch the young people and ask yourself "what if I had done that?", "where are his/her parents?" etc... Now expand that to "how do they treat/train their pets?"

rant ends,worms loose LOL
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I have raised, trained and bred German Shepherds since I was a teen. They have always been my preferred breed of dog. There is an old saying that goes " there are no bad dogs but rather bad dog owners ". I tend to agree with this.

The main issues with pitbulls is that so many were bred for back alley fighting. Then you had the macho man who wanted to own a Pitbull because they were known as fierce fighters. The owners " macho " demeanor is then adopted by the dog. It is very sad to see.

I currently own 3 German Shepherds and I trust all of them around people and kids. But I have trained them and socialized them since they were pups and taught them to behave. There are people who should never own dogs just like there are people who should never have kids.

Chris

forsailbyowner

Small world Chris. I was raised amid Bellwood Kennels. My parents raised AKC German shepards and spent much of my youth travelling around the country to dog shows. I was the official pooper scooper for the AKC at their shows when I wasn't showing or grooming dogs. Same opinion on dogs and dog owners. I visited some bad dog owners a while back. The dog jumped all over them and was unruly as hell, all they would do was yell. By the time I left me and the dog had an understanding and he was quite well behaved at least when he was around me. Such a smart animal, such stupid people.