Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 12:16:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My Brain Trust

Started by Mojo, January 22, 2013, 07:58:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Thank god I am married to a woman who keeps me on track and prevents me from making dumb mistakes.

I was in the process of filling out all the forms for the two Rallys I am doing in Indiana in May.
I was scheduled to do 2 seperate rallys - one for diesel motorcoaches and the second for gas motorhomes and towable RV's. While filling out the forms she said " what the hell are you thinking ? Why do you want to screw around doing the second rally with a market segment you have avoided like the plaque for 3 years ? "

Of course she was right. Some of the owners of gas MH's and towables can really make your life miserable. They demand big discounts, they nit pick the hell out of the way your going to do the job, they request sh** materials and then when it comes bill time you have to chase them down. ( sound familiar JD ?? ).

So I am cancelling my second rally and am going to instead use that money to advertise in a few motorcoach publications as well as expand into other diesel pusher owners associations.
Things re slowing down with the two associations I have supported over the last couple of years. Time to expand and bring in new associations. :)

I bounce alot of things off my wife and thankfully she is a great sounding board. She has prevented me from making more then one mistake in the past. Which reminds me do any of you have a wife that has anything to do with your upholstery business ? Mine supports me and owns the company and helps me when I have large awnings to do. But she doesn't sew and has little time to work in the shop because of her teaching job. She does work  rally with me every year and staffs my booth for me.

Are any of your wives involved in your business ?

Chris

sofadoc

C'mon Chris. She can't be THAT smart. Look who she married. :D

My wife used to work with me. She took care of the books, and sewed whatever I put in front of her.
But with both of us self-employed, we decided that one of us should have a job with benefits.

She has done quite well in the banking business. We live off of my salary. Almost all of her salary goes into savings, and insurance. One of these days when I'm too old to schlep couches on my back, we'll live off her income.
At least that's MY plan (she may have other ideas ;)).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Those damn poor people. I can't wait until Obama gives everyone enough money so we can all be rich.

Hey, if we're all rich, and the rich are evil and need to be taxed more??? Now I'm really confused!   ::)

Never mind.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

QuoteAre any of your wives involved in your business

Mine was afraid of the sewing machine, and paperwork (she might mess up). She didn't like talking to customers, and her hands gave out (even with band-aids on the "blister points") after about an hour of stripping. Cutting and ,god forbid , applying anything----uhm--- didn't go so good either.

She got tired of my always being at the shop and her being home with nothing to do so she took a voluntary reduction in rank to Girlfriend and moved to Winnipeg.

I'm no longer self employed BTW.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

January 22, 2013, 05:03:30 pm #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:05:12 pm by kodydog
Mojo, my wife and I could never have run a successful business without her. She loves the business end of the operation. Dealing with customers, bookkeeping, scheduling, returning calls and all the other office work involved in running a business. She is the one with the brains in our partnership. On top of that she did half the sewing and cutting.

The funny thing is after many years we found ourselves more valuable to others than we could make ourselves.

Last week she started a state job with the Dept of Revenue. And with it comes all the benefits. Yesterday she got her first paid holiday in over 25 years.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

while I was reading your 3rd sentence I was thinking the same thing I thought you didn't cater to the gassers . question you mentioned when it comes pay time there have been problem's. don't you take a order and get payment before you make or ship the awning?
I had a product before I made and shipped  to customers' bur got paid whe the order was placed ive also just made a item for a local customer and over the net there has been a little interest but before I make one I will be paid. just as if I order something online I pay with the order then wait for delivery 

Mike

Quote from: gene on January 22, 2013, 03:59:35 pm
Those damn poor people. I can't wait until Obama gives everyone enough money so we can all be rich.

Hey, if we're all rich, and the rich are evil and need to be taxed more??? Now I'm really confused!   ::)

Never mind.

gene

sounds like what you hear how your kid has to be belter then you, or has to be coledge edjucated
this coming from a unedjumacated stitcher  the world needs auto techs or trash men too. ;)