Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 11, 2024, 01:22:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

to glue or not to glue

Started by Darren Henry, January 02, 2013, 04:21:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

do you glue fabric to fabric

yes
0 (0%)
no
2 (100%)
it depends
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Darren Henry

I'm in the middle of recovering a miniature Cogwell rocker for my grand niece.
The fabric she and my niece have chosen would be better suited for pillow cases so I'm going to back it with some canvas I've got lying around.What I can't decide is if I'm going to glue the two fabrics together or just sew the edges.Teh chair is very small---maybe 2 feet tall with a 12-14"seat and my great niece is only 2 1/2.

What would you do?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

January 02, 2013, 05:19:50 am #1 Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:31:37 am by DB
Darren, what about not gluing and just cover the process in two waves by applying each layer one at a time?

Gluing would probably work if it doesn't absorb "through" and stiffen the two layers.

At that risk is why I would consider doing the two layer approach, consider the first layer as a lining, indirectly or directly depending on analysis, it will help the top layer in terms of durability.  For layers that can't be applied in separate steps, attach together by sewing, like you said.

Sounds like a fun little project.

Happy New Year, it sure is cold here, I can't imagine what you have.  You people are true grit.

Doyle

forsailbyowner

Would the iron together "fusing" be an option? I don't do much of that kind of sewing but watch a sewing show on pbs once in a while lol.

JDUpholstery

Depending on the material type, I would agree it would bleed/stiffen...perhaps a light dusting of super 77 or something might work for you, but being a little kids chair, it wont see the high traffic heavy weight an adult chair would....back the light fabric up with an 1/8" sew foam and call it good!

Darren Henry

QuoteWould the iron together "fusing" be an option?

I've never used the stuff, but I'd be concerned about it stiffening the chair.

I had the same concerns as JD --- thus the survey.

I was leaning towards Doyle's approach, but got over thinking it.It is only 2 and 3" foam on solid panelboard seat and back, and as I said , It's pretty small.

QuoteHappy New Year, it sure is cold here, I can't imagine what you have.  You people are true grit.

Happy new year to you and yours as well. It was danged cold Christmas eve/Christmas--- then nice--- then bitter new years eve. Minus -28ºC . We're above average for the rest of the week with a promise of almost the freezing mark over the weekend (daytime of course). Today was - 8ºC when I got up at 6 and then dropped to -12ºC as I type. ---Just switched my thermometer over to ºF---+9ºF. I'll take it. It's all what you get used to. Mike must have had a hard time going from this "stuff" to it's so hot and humid you can't breath down there.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I agree with Doyle and instead of using canvas I would use muslin as a liner.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

That is a good idea Kody, it has the advantage of keeping bulk to a minimum and is plenty strong as a liner.

Let us know how it turns out Darren, like I said, it sounds like fun.

Doyle

Darren Henry

You're right Kody,but I don't have any muslin on hand and this canvas is light enough that it is much like muslin.