Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 11:21:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

vinyl welded seams

Started by limey, January 04, 2013, 02:54:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

would anyone know of a source for having seams " welded" into basketweave vinyl? Many of the european autos had vinyl seats  with welded rather than sewn seams. Have a client who wants to go to the Nth degree on authenticity, and is prepared to pay me to do the research for a change. noticed lots of after market boat seats do the same, any clues?

zanepurcell

there was just a posting on this - it is generally done with an ultrasonic device or something. you can buy heat pleated vinyl, but your best bet for basketweave is to find it already made.
zANE

bobbin

I only know about heat welding with respect to straight runs.  In awning work or on runs of heavy duty vinyl it's the only way to fly.  I work for a shop that subcontracts the heat welding to a local business.  They can even "weld" acrylics.  It's so much faster and there are no seams to disintegrate in sunlight.