Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 02:36:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstery guys, give me a clue.....

Started by Grebo, December 05, 2012, 05:13:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

December 05, 2012, 05:13:22 am Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:15:27 am by Grebo
I have four interior boat seats / sofa parts that need the rubber type 'webbing' that hides under the cushions replacing with something tight & firm, like the herring bone webbing. ( 2")
I have never tried this before, if you had to do something in a strange shape, sofa sized how much time would it take you on a really bad day   ::)  
The old rubbery stuff is stapled on, so I guess I can do the same with the webbing, so it's strip it off & new stuff on, nothing needs taking apart.  
Please  ;D  

Suzi

sofadoc

It doesn't sound like anything that would take too terribly long, assuming that there's no fabric to remove in order to access the webbing. With the right staple removal tool, pulling the old stuff out should be less than 1 hour. Staple the new webbing along the back rail first, pull it toward you with a stretcher, and staple it to the front rail. 2 hours total is a generous estimate.
"Elasbelt" brand webbing has nice stretch. It is a great substitute for rubber webbing. Easy to staple.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

8)  Thanks.
I have a stretcher so thats a start.
The trouble with the old stuff is that it's just too stretchy, customer & wife aren't  heavy weights but their bums are about on the floor.  :-X

Suzi

Darren Henry

I'd agree with Dennis. Unless they have gone completely retarded with the staples, two hours each after the material is out of the road should be lots of time.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Grebo

Thanks, I will quote on that & learn from it.  ;D

Suzi

DBR1957

I've run across this a couple of times in boats and generally don't worry about using
webbing to replace the old stuff. I will typically just staple in a couple of layers of
Textilene mesh. The customers loved the new firmness.

Personally, I don't like that feeling of sinking into a seat. I have a late 80's car with
Recaro seats. They have a rubber sheet supporting the cushion foam. I took them
apart and sewed Textilene right over the rubber. Feels much better and I sit a little
higher. Better on my back too.

Grebo

Nice thought, but gaps are needed to get hands though to fasten seat to the floor.  ???

Will remember that for the next one.

Suzi