Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:19:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Mother of all storage ottomans

Started by JuneC, November 09, 2012, 07:54:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Thanks, all!  Yes, Mike, the sides are padded.  I used pleats and buttons to hide the seams. 

Unfortunately, due to the size of the tops, there was no way to avoid a seam in the sides of the boxing.  The fabric was simply not wide enough with the correct pattern.  The boxing sides, corner to corner, were 49 inches long and the pattern had a 14 inch horizontal repeat so there was no possible way to match the fabric pattern on the base without a seam.  I considered pleats on the boxing to match to pleats on the base to hide the seams, but thought they'd look messy since they'd gap whenever someone sat (kinda like your fly does if you forget to zip). 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Joys Shop

Do you have a picture of the inside of the finished piece?

JuneC

No, I never thought to take one.  I'll be doing valances for the same boat once it gets in the water so maybe I can pop the lids off and take a pic or two.  I had to fold under the edges of the fabric before stapling on the inside thanks to the raveling (or unraveling).  It's just raw wood otherwise.  I was going to do some marine underlining inside but the owner said don't bother - it's just for safety gear that will hopefully never get used.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields