Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 01:35:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Comments/Advice On How This Chair Has Come Out

Started by BobbyD, October 27, 2012, 06:17:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyD

Hi all,

Here is one of my first projects.  When my friend gave me this chair it had nothing but some tattered webbing on the seat.  Did new webbing, covered with burlap, then animal hair, layer of thin fabric, some cotton batting, some more fabric, and then finally the leather with the decorative nails.  It seems to me that the pleating in the corners is undesirable.  Is this so?  If it is, how can they be avoided in a chair of this type?  Any other comments whatsoever would be greatly appreciated  :)

scottymc

If that's your first go , you've done well. Now stop it!! your making fools of us ;D

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on October 28, 2012, 12:23:55 am
If that's your first go , you've done well. Now stop it!! your making fools of us ;D
I agree. Nice job for your first attempt!

To avoid the pleating in the corners, just drive a few initial staples (or tacks) halfway in. Then you can remove and re-adjust before doing the final tacking. Just keep stretching outwardly in all directions, and re-tacking. And keep a spray bottle of water handy to spritz the leather, and make it a little more flexible.

You might be able to go in from underneath and stuff out those corners a little.

But if that's your first try, you're already light years of where I was early on.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BobbyD

Thanks for the kind words and the advice guys  :)