Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:29:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Restaurant booths AGAIN!

Started by cthomps, October 19, 2012, 05:57:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Apparently I am now the go-to-gal for restaurants booths!  It will be great when I actually know how to do it!  I have been called back to the original "just put some backs on them" place and did 4 more.  They look great and he was pleased.  He also wants me to recover 9 standard booths. Two singles, one 8 feet long and the rest are back to back.  I looked at them quite carefully, and believe I can do it, however I have one question.

How does the decorative wooden strip come off the end?  I am guessing it just pry's off, but in lieu of breaking it, I thought I would ask first.  It is about 3" wide and runs vertically up the end.  It is covering the fabric ends. 

Thank you all.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Ageorge

I haven't done upholstery that long, but it usually is nailed in(in this case you have pry off very carefully) or screws in from the other side.

cthomps

The back to back booths are one unit.  That's why I'm guessing it is just tacked on some how. I pulled the seat and couldn't get my hand anywhere to feel for screws.  Also forgot to ask, for expert time estimate? I don't want to over charge while learning.

8' booth
2 standard ends
6 standard back to backs

Nothing fancy.  Just plain old booths. 

kodydog

October 19, 2012, 05:04:14 pm #3 Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:10:03 pm by kodydog
ct, nothing wrong with doing restaurant booths. Sounds like your a pro already. If you live in an area with lots of restaurants you could make a living only doing those. Some day you may even want to hire a helper or two.

8' is pretty big as far as booths go. Are you just doing the backs like the last job or the whole thing, backs and seats? And are you upholstering end caps or just reusing the old ones? And usually there is a top cap also.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Rich

It should pry off, but be aware that many times the factory will use a ridged nail pushed through a small piece of aluminum that is then stapled to the back of the wood end panel to allow the nail to protrude. The assembler then whacks the end panel in place. This is great for insurance that the end panel (or cap) will stay on when it leaves the factory, but once it's removed, the nail may stay while the aluminum breaks free from the wood. You might have to get creative at that point.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

cthomps

The fabric is "seamed" about 8" down from the top and rolls to the other side of the back to back booth. (thinking it is stapled and flipped).  Only one booth is 8' long, the rest are standard.  The end "cap" (thanks Rich) is wood and I was afraid of cracking it while removing it.  The seats are vinyl and are going to remain as is.  I am replacing the fabric backs with coordinating vinyl.  I dropped off the bid at happy hour :D so I guess we will wait and see what he thinks.

Upholstery + boats + party dresses = living   Thank you all so much.  Some day I hope to be able to help you all.