Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 11:28:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Who is it that does aircraft ?

Started by Grebo, October 03, 2012, 01:23:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I have just been asked to cover some steering yokes in a small light aircraft.
Haven't looked at the job yet.
Now I do know there are some reg's where planes are concerned but no idea what they are  :-X
Is there anything I should know before hand, or advise re the job. He wants leather & it has to be done en situ.  ???

Please.  ;D

Suzi

SHHR

NDAV8R is the aircraft guy who can give the direction on all aircraft. Detailed records for the maintenance log book and proof of flammability requirements on all materials are a must too. I've been working on a 1963 Mooney for a customer at the local airport installing a new headliner along with some small incedentals as he's been rebuilding the plane. We just ordered all pre-made pieces for this plane plus I modified some Ill fitting carpet and side panels from the previous trimmer who worked on it. Everything we ordered like the headliner and door weatherstrip gaskets came with the flammability certification and to enter in the logs. After installation the owner had the local mechanic look it all over and he gave it his approval.
Kyle

Grebo

October 03, 2012, 04:32:30 am #2 Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:33:07 am by Grebo
Cool, thanks Kyle.
May be I should, step away from the airplane  ;D
Or perhaps I could order the covers from some one with the necessary paperwork  ::)
I will wait & see what NDAV8R has to say on the subject.

Thanks

Suzi

SHHR

I know in the past, he's stressed the fact that if there's ever any situation with the craft involved in a crash anyone who's in the logs of ever working on it is now considered liable and the attorneys will go after them. So a good insurance is a must. It makes me think of a situation here in town about a month ago. A guy driving a car hit a young man on a moped causing him to fall off in the path of another car running him over. After a hospital stay the young man died and now his family is not only suing the guy who hit him, but also the man who ran him over. He was just in the wrong spot at the wrong time and couldnt avoid the accident, but according to the law, he's liable.
Kyle

Grebo

:o    I have been warned.  ;)

Suzi

NDAV8R

October 04, 2012, 07:23:26 am #5 Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:30:03 am by NDAV8R
Hey there Grebo:

I don't get on here as often as used to, so sorry for the delay.

One thing that I learned on covering yokes on airplanes is that you should have the leather split or skived to a thinner dimension.  I use a 3 to 4 oz. leather  and split to half it's thickness. Certian yokes have various switches on them like power trim or push to talk buttons. Thick leather don't cut it on this style. These yokes must be removed and reinstalled by a licensed A&P Mechanic or FAA Licensed Radio Repair Station. There is no regulation YET on thread or adhesive for the install.
  The leather have a burn certificate...one link: http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182839-1.html , unless for aircraft in the experimental category.  You must have an approved leather that has passed a horizontal burn test for aircraft that have a take off weight of 20,000 lbs or less and or less than 20 passengers. If more, you have to have leather that have the vertical burn test certificate.
 Yes insurance is a must, but talk to the A&P or IA that will sign off your work, to be sure. Even LLC's are really not protected here.  Bottom line is that the lawyers are looking for the weakest link!! (For example, did the leather slip on the yoke to cause the pilot to lose control?)(you know, like a loose fitting steering wheel cover on a car) I don't even do floor mats for the Pilot and Co-pilots sections any more for the liability of them getting caught in the rudder pedals, no matter how good they are fastened down!
  It looks like a doable project for you, but talk to the A&P to get your gut feeling about it.

Good Luck,
NDAV8R
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Grebo

October 05, 2012, 01:25:24 am #6 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:39:39 am by Grebo
Wow thanks for that, I think it all sounds a bit scary for me  ???

The Guy was supposed to ring me last night & didn't. So I think I will get back to him first & say it's outta my depth.
It's one of those " Just a little job " .
Really appreciate you input .

I think I will stick with boats.

Suzi