Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 03:05:03 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hey, I just cover 'em!

Started by sofadoc, September 27, 2012, 10:48:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I don't pick the fabrics, I just put 'em on.

All 3 of these are all for the same customer (going in the same room). The striped one really coordinates well with the others, don't you think?

When a customer asks my opinion, I say "If you like it.....I love it!!"
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jojo

needles eye

From the Latin -

"there is no disputing about tastes" .......

Mojo

O M G ..................

Seriously ????

( Face Palm ).......... It takes all kinds.  :)

Chris

gene

I saw Timothy Leary give a lecture years ago. He was actually able to speak more clearly and more lucidly after he finished his first 5th of whiskey (drinking whilst he talked) than before.

I bet that furniture belongs to one of his faithful followers.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Ageorge

Wow!! To each his own..

Hey how do you get those front cardboard things on the arms-like on the wing chair (sorry I don't know the techincal term) on and look so good? I've tried everythiing and have a couch to put them on now. It's super thin cotton fabric and I think it will create a hole if I nail it on the way I've done in the past with a more open weave fabric. I always struggle with those!

sofadoc

Quote from: Ageorge on September 28, 2012, 07:15:40 am
Hey how do you get those front cardboard things on the arms-like on the wing chair (sorry I don't know the techincal term) on and look so good? I've tried everythiing and have a couch to put them on now. It's super thin cotton fabric and I think it will create a hole if I nail it on the way I've done in the past with a more open weave fabric.
With that particular fabric, I could've hidden a railroad spike ;D.
I simply call them "Front arm panels". Like you said, with an open weave, you can drive a brad nail right through the front (I use an 18 ga. finish nail gun) . But with a tight weave (or otherwise delicate fabric), I either try to re-use the old panel that had a built-in nail(s) on the back, or I make a new one with any kind of thin panel board.

gene

There have been times when I was able to hot melt glue the front arm panels. I staple any loose fabric down that will be under the front arm panels and I make sure the fabric and welt cord if any is stapled the same way to the back of the front arm panels. I also try to get as much of the back of the front arm panel material up against bare wood.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on September 28, 2012, 02:07:01 pm
There have been times when I was able to hot melt glue the front arm panels.
Hot glue is the greatest thing since duct tape. ;)
It comes in handy in a lot of places. Like when your metal nailstrip is 6" too short, or a pleat is trying to come unfolded. Or reinforcing an enlarged/ravelled button hole.
And holding a panel down, like Gene says.

I got in a channel back chair recently. The previous upholsterer had hot glued the new fabric right over the old fabric (down in the channels). It actually looked pretty good.