Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 12:25:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Start spreadin' the news......

Started by sofadoc, August 30, 2012, 06:14:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I'm leavin' today
Gonna make a brand new start of it
In ole New Yor-r-r-rk!

Actually, me and "Turtle dove" are just going there for a long weekend of sightseeing.
But hey, if I spot a cheap rental on a nice little upholstery shop right in the middle of Times Square, I might just decide to hang out a shingle.   ::)
After all, you know what the song says, "If I can make it there..........."
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JDUpholstery

if you have never been, its a great experience...before my MS medically disqualified me, I used to drive a truck, and did runs into hunts point market in the bronx...sometimes it took a while to get out of there so I would go see the city....of course cheap shop or not, this ole country boy doesn't wanna stay in the city!

Have fun!

Mike

Mojo

I was in Manhattan on business back in 2003. I was there to consult to a European business client. I had a ball. Caught a Broadway production ( Phantom of the Opera ), seen ground Zero, took a ferry to Staten island and seen the Statue of liberty. Went on top of the Empire State Bldg.

I had a great time but couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. Way to busy and way to noisy for me. Take alot of cash with you. EVERYTHING is expensive.

Have fun and do not stray into some of the burbs ( Harlem, Bronx, etc. ). Crime is horrible. Manhattan is very safe.

Chris

SHHR

Quote from: Mojo on August 30, 2012, 04:22:26 pm
...... Manhattan is very safe.

Chris

Unless you're near a police standoff and the police decide to shoot.
Kyle

Mike

Intook a ride woen one night out of boredom when inwas a kid and saw slme bums in cardboard boxes.

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Rich

My .02 on doing business in NYC:
Back in the 70's and 80's, being located in Brookyln (outer borough) meant that I dealt mainly with Brooklyn customers. Occasionally, I'd get business from Manhattan customers. The differences I found was that the Manhattan customers would generally not ask for price discounts nor would they obsessively nit-pick the details of the finished job. Had I stayed there, I would have actively sought more business from Manhattan customers.
BTW, no regrets whatsoever about moving away from the place.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

In my previous life as a sales manager I had a sales rep who lived in Brooklyn. The first time I flew to NY to meet with him I told him that I wanted to experience the fullness of what I new about NYC. I wanted to see a Broadway play, get mugged, and pick up a prostitute.

I did the first, was lucky not to ever do the second, and was joking about the third.

Sofa D: have an enjoyable, safe, and STD free trip.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

scarab29

It's changed a lot since the 80's. No more sex shops on 42nd street , times square is pretty much all cleaned up !! Still noisy as hell and crowded. Went in last weekend to see cirque du solil at radio city. Great show and ends this weekend I think, Tickets were still avail and discounted so if you want to see a cool show in a cool venue give it a try. Had dinner down the street after the show and wasn't really expensive , 310 with tip for 8 people with 2 bottles of wine !! Place was owned by some tv chef Lidia? Never heard of her but the food was great ! Becco @ 355 w 46th st , easy walk from times square.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

kodydog

My one and only NYC story took place when I was 11 years old. Got to see a 1969 World Series game. Have a ball sofa.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

We stumbled up on a movie being filmed on Wall street. Unless we get edited out, we'll be "co-starring" with Chris Pine

This was the view from our hotel window  .
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban