Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 01:30:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thinks?

Started by sofadoc, August 11, 2012, 07:15:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

August 11, 2012, 07:15:33 am Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:10:16 pm by sofadoc
I posted a few years ago about a customer that had just moved to town from New Jersey. The toughest transition for her was not using the "F" word in every sentence.

Anyway, she always said "Thinks" after every job (instead of "Thanks"). Well I got a card from her today. She is moving out of town, and just wanted to thank me for all the work that I've done for her. But the card actually said "Thinks".

I had always assumed that it was just the way that she pronounced the word. Much the same way that when us Texans say "awl", we're not talking about that sharp pointy thing that upholsterers use. We're talking about that bubblin' crude that came up from the ground one day while Jed was shootin' at some food. Or the way Bostonians don't feel it necessary to put an R on the end of words (You know, cah, bah, stah).

But no, turns out this woman was really "thinking" me.  
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SHHR

Just write her back and say "You're F'n welcome"
Kyle

byhammerandhand

Actually Bostonians have "The law of R conservation."

While certain words, "I pawked my caw in Havad yawd" loose the R, they show up in other words, "Ask Linder (Linda), she sawr (saw) the dater (data) on the drawring (drawing).

"intrusive-r , non-rhotive" dialect

People who constantly use profanity are just uncultured   #*)@#ers.

I also get a kick out people who rely on crutch words/phrases, know what I mean? Common on interviews of sports figures, but not limited to them, you know.  I had to stifle laughter a couple of weeks ago when talking to a guy whose every sentence would end with "and all that there."  I worked for a guy once who could not put together a sentence that did not include several "basically" "supposedly," and "I guess" thrown in.   I hate to think of how much time of my life I basically wasted. :-)

Quote from: sofadoc on August 11, 2012, 07:15:33 am
I posted a few years ago about a customer that had just moved to town from New Jersey. The toughest transition for her was not using the "F" word in every sentence.

Anyway, she always said "Thinks" after every job (instead of "Thanks"). Well I got a card from her today. She is moving out of town, and just wanted to thank me for all the work that I've done for her. But the card actually said "Thinks".

I had always assumed that it was just the way that she pronounced the word. Much the same way that when us Texans say "awl", were not talking about that sharp pointy thing that upholsterers use. Were talking about that bubblin' crude that came up from the ground one day while Jed was shootin' at some food. Or the way Bostonians don't feel it necessary to put an R on the end of words (You know, cah, bah, stah).

But no, turns out this woman was really "thinking" me. 
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Inlike judge Judy she hates basicly  "basicly I don't wanna hear it " in her words
Let me ax you sumthin   My dad used to say " folley me"

gscmarine

Quote from: SHHR on August 11, 2012, 10:33:50 am
Kyle

Now that's funny.

Mojo

Quote from: SHHR on August 11, 2012, 10:33:50 am
Kyle

LMAO............. Kyle.......your a hoot. :)

Chris

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!