Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 09:25:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

leather sofa

Started by gene, July 20, 2012, 04:07:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

July 20, 2012, 04:07:09 pm Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:08:30 pm by gene
Howdy,

I am replacing worn leather seat cushion covers on a leather sofa with fabric seat cushion covers.

The fabric has a rubber type backing on it and it is totally air tight.

I thought of putting air vents on the back, either brass or plastic. However, these air vents would rub up against the inside back panel that is leather.

How about using a different fabric for the zipper part of the boxing. It is in the back and won't be seen.

Here's my question: How would a regular fabric for the zipper part of the boxing compare with air vents?

Would I get more air going out and in with the regular fabric for the zipper part?

Would it be best to use a specific fabric for the zipper part - like that black material that is on the bottom of the old leather cushion covers?

Thank you for your thoughts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Are you trying to make these new covers reversable? Is that why you don't want to use the black material on the bottom like the old leather covers were?

I can't picture vents rubbing against the leather on the sofa frame being that big a problem.

I know what you mean, though. I've done some recently that it seemed like no amount of vents was enough to prevent the WHOOSH.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Yes, these will be reversible cushions. I'm wanting to know if I use regular fabric on the back will that be just as good as the air vents. The back of the cushions rub up against the leather sofa, so I was worried about the air vents causing marks.

Thanks.

gene

MinUph

gene,
  A fabric zipper will be much better than vents. As long as its not leather or vunyl  ;D
  Us a nice breathable fabric like a tweed and you will have no problems.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

We used to have a guy in town who made all of his zipper panels out of tweed (regardless of what the main body of the cushion was made of).
He did this not only for venting, but he also referred to it as "Puttin' a stretcher on it".
In case his corners weren't coming out even (and they never were), he could stretch the tweed.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on July 21, 2012, 07:22:59 am
We used to have a guy in town who made all of his zipper panels out of tweed (regardless of what the main body of the cushion was made of).
He did this not only for venting, but he also referred to it as "Puttin' a stretcher on it".
In case his corners weren't coming out even (and they never were), he could stretch the tweed.

LOL :P
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Gene, use Textilene on your zipper boxing!  It's an open screen fabric and it wears like iron.  I used it on the zipper boxings of a recent yacht interior I did in leather.  It provided all the venting required and then some!  As part of the zipper boxing it was never going to be seen and the open mesh made not a whit of importance. 

gene

Thanks for the comments. I will buy some Textilene. It will be good to have some on hand.

gene