Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 09:33:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

RV Fabric

Started by DDandJ, July 21, 2012, 02:46:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDandJ

The mother of a co-worker has asked me to recover the dining chairs for her RV.  I have not seen the chairs yet.  Two of them are fold away and two are not.  She would like to stay with the original fabric or something very similar.  She called the dealer from which she purchased the RV and I think they kind of blew her off.  They quickly told her the fabric wasn't made anymore.  Ok, it's not that old of an RV.  Lol.

I told her I would post the question here.  The RV is 2006 Newmar Kountry Star.  I saw the RV when she first purchased it and I remember the interior being brown and beige.  Neither she nor I know the pattern name.  It's just beige to us.  Ha ha.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Again it doesn't have to be exact, just close.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

sofadoc

Quote from: DDandJ on July 21, 2012, 02:46:18 pm
they kind of blew her off.  They quickly told her the fabric wasn't made anymore.  Ok, it's not that old of an RV.  Lol.
Many RV furniture manufacturers either buy close-out fabrics, or they simply buy "all there is.....there ain't no more".
So if they told me that the fabric wasn't made anymore, I probably wouldn't question the truthfullness of that statement.
Most RV fabrics are pretty generic. I would think that something close would suffice.
I wouldn't beat myself up trying to track down the original fabric.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Hi Jeremy:

I specialize in RV work so have been down this path before. The dealers will not be of any help to you so your going to want to contact Newmar directly.

Her coach will have a color combo attached to it. My own coach is called the Blackwood Manor and these names always signify the color combos and designs on the outside and inside. Chairs will be in a certain fabric ( color/pattern ) as will the valances ( window treatments, etc. ). She will more then likely know the name of her coaches color scheme. If not then have her look through the brochures from that year. Newmar I believe only produced 3 color schemes for each model and year. They typically change out the color schemes every year.

The manufacturers typically stock this fabric at the factory. Be prepared though as they charge an arm and a leg for the fabric and it is not the greatest quality fabric. Once she finds out her color scheme you can contact the factory and order however much fabric you need. With it being a 2006 they should still have some of this fabric in stock.

Best of luck,

Chris

SHHR

Chris is right on contacting the manufacturer. We were at a family type camp a few years ago and I pulled our 24' Fleetwood there for us to stay in. I met a guy there who was looking my camper over and struck up a conversation. He said he worked for Fleetwood in northern Indiana at the C class section of it. As it happened just before that, too I was looking a Fleetwood Coach over on the grounds about doing some repairs in the interior when matching that fabric came up. I asked the guy who worked for Fleetwood about it and he said they have a huge warehouse full of fabric rolls and odds n end cuts and he could get me what ever I needed. After that weekend the coach owner never got back in contact though, so I never did get to see if I really could get that fabric or not.
Kyle

sofadoc

Our opinions are based on our own personal experiences. In my business, by the time a customer comes to me with RV cushions, they're already several years old.

And yeah, I've been told many times that the fabric is still available. I've wasted a lot of time trying to locate OEM fabrics.

Anyway, like Chris said, OEM material is priced outta sight. On the rare occasion that I have been able to find it, I'll shoot the customer a quote......they fall over backwards.....and then they run to the nearest JoAnns and buy some for under $10yd.

Mojo

The fabric they got at Joann's is an upgrade as compared to some of the POS fabric I have seen manufacturers use. :)

I believe this guy stated it was a 2006 so he should have no problems finding the fabric. I am in the process of renovating my coach and I cannot wait to rip all the fabric out of this coach and toss it. It is gawd awful ugly.

I believe they use first year interior design students to select fabric colors and designs for coaches and RV's. I have seen some awful looking designs. :)

Chris

DDandJ

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I figured the interior color scheme had a name.  The owner of the RV doesn't know it.  I told her to go through her brochure and see if she can find it.

I told her the fabric could be very expensive and not to be surprised.  I also suggested she go to one of my favorite fabric stores in Oklahoma City.  You can get all kinds of upholstery fabric for $9.99 a yard.

I actually saw the chairs this morning.  They're small.  Have a little channel quilting on the seat back.  Appears the seat back was sewn all together and slipped on.  I won't say they look easy.  Everytime I say those words I eat them ;)

DDandJ

I think we found the name of the color scheme:  Andretti Chocolate.

My next question is: Does Mario know about this???

Mojo

You are right the ones that I have seen are fitted like a slip cover. They pull over and then are stapled from underneath I believe. Paul, Ed, Dennis or Gene are our experts in how these things go together so I will let them comment.

I believe the channeling is done with sew foam. Not sure.

There are so many gorgeous fabrics out there for her to choose from that it would be wise for her to at least look at some. I personally cannot stand that fabric selections RV manufacturers select. Until you get into the million to 2 million dollar buses the fabric selections are horrible. Some of the most gaudiest fabrics I have ever seen were inside RV's. :)

You might also want to suggest to her that the window treatments be redone. These can be done very cheap and are very easy to do.

Chris

kodydog

I don't know what you mean by channeled seat back but if you need any help post a pic and we will set you up.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

I see alot of. Oat seatback that are installed this way you sew it all and have to staple in o. The. Oftom you have to be exact with gour pattern ans you cAnt tighten it stapling. Jse a plastis slipaid to streach it o er the seat   

DDandJ

Thanks Mike, Chris, Kody.

Like you Chris, I'm assuming the quilting is done over foam which I've done once before.  As Mike said I think making sure the pattern is exact is the key.

Mike: You mentioned a plastic slip aid.  Are you referring to the thin, slick plastic?  Where do I get some of that stuff?  My local supplier sells the plastic bags you can use with a vacuum cleaner to suff cushions.  I've never used them.  Is it the same stuff?

Jeremy

sofadoc

The plastic slip aid is called silk film. It's thinner than the plastic bags. Masco Fabrics has a 54" X 2700' ft. roll for $13.
800 326 2726

JuneC

Quote from: sofadoc on July 24, 2012, 09:28:19 am
The plastic slip aid is called silk film. It's thinner than the plastic bags. Masco Fabrics has a 54" X 2700' ft. roll for $13.
800 326 2726

Seriously??!!   :o   That's crazy cheap!  I'm soon to be in need of a new roll.  Thanks for that tip, Sofa!

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on July 24, 2012, 06:17:10 pm
Quote from: sofadoc on July 24, 2012, 09:28:19 am
800 326 2726

Seriously??!!   :o   That's crazy cheap!  I'm soon to be in need of a new roll.  Thanks for that tip, Sofa!

Whoa! Hold on June. I spotted a typo. It should be 270 ft. Not 2700. Sorry (still pretty cheap, just not "crazy" cheap).