Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 08:23:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Another day at the office

Started by sofadoc, July 11, 2012, 09:44:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Got in this load of crap from my favorite rental store, who shall remain nameless (but it starts with a double vowel):

I had to laugh when I saw this tag on one of them:

Makes you proud to be an American, doesn't it?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

July 11, 2012, 12:52:16 pm #1 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:08:07 am by byhammerandhand
Cheap is as cheap does.

Or is that, "Stupid is as stupid does?"

I had a reclining sectional similar to that a couple of years ago.   Proudly across the footrest was a protective cover, "XXX Fine Quality Furniture."  This would be the footrest that was falling off, next to the arm that was falling off.  (New stuff just delivered).

Edit: (found the photo)

And Kimel was amazed I could make a living repairing new furniture  :D

Perhaps my favorite quote, ever,

"There is hardly anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and those people who consider price only, are this man's lawful prey. It is unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money - that is all.   When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot; it cannot be done.   If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better"

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Our government, the USA one, has done a great job of taking away pride, motivation, enthusiasm, and ownership from the middle class.

They have given the middle class, in return, complacency or fear - you get to choose.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Are they even worth repairing?

We once went on an estimate to fix a recliner. I swear it looked like someone dropped it from the top of a two story house. They had four VERY rambunctious boys that must have used it for football practice.

We told the store owner it couldn't be repaired.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on July 11, 2012, 05:56:55 pm
Are they even worth repairing?
No, they aren't. But the furniture rental store who shall remain nameless doesn't mind paying $100 or more to make them presentable for re-renting. Some poor sap is probably going to make 18 EZ payments on one of those junkers.
Only in America!

kodydog

Lets see, 18 easy payments at $40 each. Hay that's only $720. What a bargain. But will the recliner last 18 months. Yikes!   :D

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on July 11, 2012, 06:39:07 pm
But will the recliner last 18 months.
Even if they have to pay me to fix it 3 times during the 18 months, they still made a killin'.
But in the unlikely event that the customer makes all 18 payments, that baby is theirs free and clear. The American dream lives on!!!

bobbin

I hope it was the drugs talking, Gene.   ;)  Some of us don't blame our elected gov't. for "lack of pride, motivation, enthusiasm, and ownership".  As a matter of fact, those qualities are in plenty under this roof.  Your's too, I'd wager. 

Parents who instilled the difference between "want" and "need" and encouraged a willingness to weigh desire against the work/time required to have the desired item ensured that such common sense values were passed along to my generation.  The drapery work, floor cloths, and carefully selected "big ticket" items  in our home stand in mute testimony to it, right along with the hours of sweat equity required to mill and install endless feet of custom mouldings throughout the house and my shop. 

People have different levels of "quality" in their minds; some of us value workmanship and understand that people who create quality products have to charge enough money to make their lives "work", too.  We know what we want, we know what we like, and we know how much money we have to spend for those things.  End result? we either save for them or we learn how to "do for ourselves".  Or, we learn to settle for the least of all evils and "let it go". 

Need and want, that simple (and that complicated).  Great quote, Hammer.!  (sounds like my 'rents).

kodydog

Quote from: bobbin on July 12, 2012, 12:34:50 pm
  Some of us don't blame our elected gov't. for "lack of pride, motivation, enthusiasm, and ownership".  As a matter of fact, those qualities are in plenty under this roof. 

Right on Bobbin. The only thing you left out is we shouldn't fear the government they should fear us or else we will boot there ass right out.

Cling to your guns and bibles Y'all  :D

CKKC

I hope you don't mind me quoting you on other sites, Kodydog!

Carol

kodydog

Like what sites Carol. The quote is not originally mine, I think I heard it on Bortz' show. Some web sites would cheer this massage and others would poo poo it. And other sites are so whacked out I don't know if I would want to be quoted on them. And I'm a pretty whacked out guy myself.  :D

CKKC

July 13, 2012, 06:21:04 pm #11 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:23:32 pm by CKKC
It is on my facebook page.   I really don't care who poo poos it!!
I can delete it if you wish.

This is what I put on there.

We shouldn't fear the government they should fear us or else we will boot there ass right out.

Cling to your guns and bibles Y'all

kodydog

Leave it on Carol, it would be an honor.