Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 02:59:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

cotton welt cord

Started by gene, May 18, 2012, 06:40:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I have a friend who bought a very big roll of cotton welt cord from a company that went out of business. This company sewed mass produced cushions and such.

The welt cord is very soft and flimsy and when she sews the welt cord often gets under the welt cord foot and is sewn through. This creates a lumpy appearance to the finished welt cord.

Is there any way to sew with this welt cord so that the cotton welt cord does not get under the needle?

Thank you,

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

She might have to go up (or maybe down) a size on her welt foot, and really use her hands to pull it through while keeping it straight. Or just go to a zipper foot, and really hang on while sewing.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Way back when, when I first started doing "home dec." stuff I used that stuff.  Only because is was the only thing available at the "worst fabric store in the world" (which is now the only game in town).  I was using my trusty Singer 31-15 (c.1929, drop feed, no reverse, still have it and use it) and here's what I learned:

1.)  Secure the welting with a pin or a couple of stitches that are easy to remove.  Whip stitch the end of the welt so it won't widen and get caught by the needle.
2.)  Use a zipper foot that won't allow the needle to ride in close the welt.
3.)  Keep an even tension on the welt itself so that you keep it uniformly taut and the needle runs by it, not catching it.  The "inside toe" of the zipper foot will ensure that the stitching is far enough away from the welt that when you switch to the welting foot the needle will run inside the first row of stitching!
4.)  Customers will call and complain after they wash a pillow casing/slipcover and the welting shrinks. 
5.)  Never waste my money on that garbage again. 

kodydog

That soft cotton stuff is a PITA. For certain applications it may be used but for general upholstery work tissue welt is the best. I would tell her to stick it in a corner of the shop and use it only as needed.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on May 19, 2012, 05:51:14 am
I would tell her to stick it in a corner of the shop and use it only as needed.
To get the best use out of it:
Stick it in a corner, throw a tablecloth over it, and place a lamp on top. ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

ahkahn

How thick is it?  If thin enough, it could be used as a lamp or candle wick.  The candle makers would eat that stuff up.

-Andrew

nancy

i have been searching for cotton welt cord, the soft kind that is not hard nor well bound together. The preferred size is just under half inch, about 7/16.  If anyone has any of this they would like to sell, please advise.  i am looking for about 50 yds but 10 yard increments is  fine.  I use this for a children's craft and while plentiful a few years ago, it seems to have disappeared from the market.

Thanks,
Nancy

JuneC

Like this?  Holy cow - up to 2" thick.  Now that's welt! 
  http://www.cushionworks.net/weltcord.html

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields