Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 28, 2024, 07:23:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hydem

Started by Mike, July 02, 2012, 12:47:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

July 02, 2012, 12:47:22 pm Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:18:02 pm by MikeM8560
How do you make hydem. I alway buy premade but every so offen i use a color thst has no premade and a close color would show up like a sore thumb.
I just did two chairs and made my own By hand

zanepurcell

Mike,

It appears that you are doing an excellent job by hand... With a single needle machine, you would need to cut a strip of vinyl, run it through a double fold clean finish hemmer to do one side, then reverse it and do the other side. The trick is getting the center of the finished product to touch and hide the staples... You might need to tweak the folder to accept a thick vinyl and something like spray silicone might help it slide in. I personally dont get along well with folders, but it is doable, especially if you are running a bunch at once. It has also been my experience that the folder dosent get in sync for a few inches so yu have waste at the start, which also becomes the end when you turn it around. I found something on the Cutex Supply website...

Zane

http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/servlet/the-1276/DOUBLE-FOLD-SEWING-MACHINE/Detail

Peppy

I also make hydem by hand. It's one of my sewing chores at the shop. I'm welt bitch. It's hard on the hands and why the sewers won't make it. Somebody on here (Darren?) had the tip of using seam tape to make the first fold. I love that trick. It's slow to tape it down but worth it for the ease. I only use it for the first side. The second side is easier when you have something to fold against.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike

July 03, 2012, 08:50:37 pm #3 Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:52:52 pm by MikeM8560
Ya ithougbt of using seamtape but i didnt  want to wayste it not using it for patterning