Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 08:18:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Which webbing for perimeter of boat cover?

Started by Pegasus2007, June 13, 2012, 05:25:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

Hello everyone!  Things are going great up here in Maine!  I have a question.  I am duplicating a pontoon boat cover and they bound in webbing around the perimeter and installed their snaps through that.  What webbing would you suggest using for this application?  I have only been using one inch nylon webbing, mostly for bimini straps, etc.  Thanks for your help! Russell.

JuneC

I don't use webbing - typically I use a self-facing of whatever canvas the cover is.  But, if I were going to, it would be polyester (NOT polypropylene).  TriVantage sells a 1" polyester webbing.  As I recall, it only comes in white or black.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

SHHR

There's a lot around here with 1" poly webbing. Don't use nylon, it most likely wouldn't last a couple of seasons at best.

Mike

I use polywebbing dont use nulon i did. Once and it shrunk somthing bad

Did you see the link i found for you eith thoose backrest support bars from great lakes skipper ?

Pegasus2007

Yes Mike, I did get that link.  Thanks for helping me out with that.  We've been so busy though, that I haven't been able to work on my own boat projects!  I hate it when that happens!  :P

Pegasus2007

I think we're going to forget the webbing and do what we usually do instead.  We usually make hems or facings and turn them.  That seems to be a pretty good way to do it although I have no doubt that it's faster binding the webbing in instead.

Mike

I bought a pair of thoose supprts aldo pegasus i want to make a backrest for my leaning post. Havnt done it yet maybe this weekend.

scarab29

I use poly webbing from tri vantage also. usually 2 in on a cockpit cover. Wont shrink and makes it real easy going on when binding the edge. Ditch the nylon for marine , no webbing , thread , it will rot fast !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.