Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 05:20:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

welt cord that doesn't shrink for outdoor sunbrella cushions.

Started by gordon, June 05, 2012, 07:31:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gordon

looking for welt cord other than the rubber type with flange for outdoor use.  Tried some propolene rope slightly thicker than the usual 5/32", which meant I had to use a zipper foot instead of my usual cording foot  Hasn't gotton wet yet so don't know how it will work.  Has anyone tried something else.  Hate puckered cushions.

JuneC

Sounds like you need foam core welting.   Comes on huge rolls of a gazillion yards from wholesalers.  I have a roll that will see me to my grave. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Welt-Cord-5-32-Foam-Core-25-yards-/190675927917

It won't shrink and won't absorb water.   Oh, and welcome  ;D

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

June, is this the stuff that is very stiff and rigid? Like plastic? Or is it very soft and pliable?

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Grebo

I use black pvc for external work, does not  seem to shrink ( so far )  ::)
http://www.ruperez-nautica.com/files/pdf/SueltasCatalogo2012/Pag.%2055.pdf
It's almost rubbery gets stiff in the cold so needs warming up in the winter, don't we all  :P

Suzi

JuneC

I've never seen it in black, Suzi.  Yes, Gene, it's quite stiff.  A bit much for light weight fabrics, but for marine vinyl and heavier wovens it's much easier to work with because you can actually feel it through the folded-over fabric.  Where it crosses at intersections I usually take a blade and "skiv" the stuff down to next-to-nothing to avoid bumps. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

The black stuff that Suzi linked looks like pure vinyl cord, not the foam type that June linked.
Either one shouldn't have a shrinking problem.
The only problem that I've seen with fiber (tissue) welt on outdoor cushions is that it simply disintegrates over time. Haven't really noticed shrinkage.
Foam welt can be cantankerous when turning corners, especially when using light to mid-weight fabrics. Not so much of a problem with vinyl.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Sailrite has a video where they are using this very stiff plastic cording to make welt cord. They put it in a pot of boiling water before they use it. This makes it less stiff.

I'm wondering if anyone does this on a regular basis?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

I just had to order a new roll of welt june i dont know how many tards it it but inthink its my 3rd roll that i can think of.

bobbin

I use only polyester or the foam welt now.  For rugged marine cushions (vinyl or those used in cockpits) I use the foam welt.  But I've found that (as Gene pointed out) it's often too stiff for use with lighter weight fabrics.  For lighter goods I use the medium welt cord (polypro. filler) from Rowley and I really like it.  There are also some excellent pre-made vinyl welts available in a variety of colors to match bolt goods.  They are created over the foam welting with the appropriate vinyls. 

With the foam welt I find that deliberately flexing it back and forthe before turning the corner makes it more workable, but it is squirrel-y to handle on corners, esp. those that are acute and it is difficult to use with lighterweight goods, esp. upholstery fabrics on a knitted backing.  I find the md. welt cord tends to open when the outer netting that encases it is cut, so I give it a quick "flick of the bic" to cauterize it  and that's worked well for me.  It is the best match for the knit back upholstery fabrics as it is pliable, soft and tends to lie flat when applied to the top/bottom pieces.

In the past I've tried cotten welt (sucked) and even have used polyester cord (expensive) but that was before I had established accounts with good suppliers.