Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 04:26:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Outdoor foam and glue

Started by Ageorge, May 30, 2012, 08:15:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

I don't like to piece foam together that often, but came across a situation where I had to. Doing outdoor 1 inch cushions for a customer and had to piece together a smaller cushion (this was outdoor foam). I used a glue (red) that is made for foam, but I wasn't sure if anyone had experience doing this with the outdoor foam? I plan on letting the customer know, but due the cost of outdoor foam didn't want to order more in. Any thoughts if the rain, etc would cause adhesive to not work properly?

sofadoc

I use the clear version of the red glue that you're talking about. Right off hand, I don't specifically remember gluing any outdoor foam with it, but I'm sure that I have. I haven't had any complaints.
The glue's biggest enemy isn't  the weather elements IMO, it's age. When the foam begins to break down with age, the glue lets go. By the time it does, it's probably time for new cushions anyway.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Because of the price of foam (esp. reticulated and closed cell foam) we glue all the time.  I have recovered closed cell cushions for a sailboat that I originally made 12 yrs. ago, and the glued foam was still going strong.

I don't see anything wrong with gluing foam for an outdoor application.  Just read the glue's directions and spec.s carefully and you should be fine.

Ageorge

Perfect! Thanks! I think it will be ok. I had to piece it together several times so I'm a little concerned with them being able to feel through the fabric where I glued it. Normally, I'd just wrap in dacron, but don't think I can do that for outdoor cushions

bobbin

I know what you mean about feeling the glue joint through the cushions, esp. on reticulated foam (the open cell stuff that water passes through).  It's important to line the faces that will be glue together up properly and press them together gently so you don't wind up with an uneven joint.  I like to work on the table for smaller pcs., the floor for larger ones; seems easier to get the pcs. lined up properly. 

My experience with the reticulated foam is that it glues up beautifully.  We don't have a spray gun for adhesive in the shop and we use aerosol cans of a product by Camie (303, I think).

Judy_Boat

You can wrap in dacron (or terylene)  for outdoor cushions. It is does not retain water and is mildew resistant.
I do it on patio swing cushions over patio fiber cushions.