Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 06:25:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Show Ideas

Started by timtheboatguy, May 26, 2012, 10:34:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

timtheboatguy

I will be setting up a booth next weekend at an outdoor boat show to promote my marine canvas / upholstery biz and was looking for some ideas for what I should have on display. I plan to have pics of my work and some sample cards but what else should I have on display or on hand?

Thanks!

Tim
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Whether ii side or out i alway had a table out front with a skirt and  and a table top cloth. Over usualy a nsvy mskirt   On the fable i set yp a small top and window display about 3' wide 2' tallish. With strataglass i thiught of doing a comparison maybe strat on the left and old foggy on the right  then behind me i had a banner hanging on theb urtians drape begind me inside outside i used a  eze up tent and had a rear wall with the banner and a small one to fit on the front of the tent vallance.
On outside set up ive seen they alway had a way to have a banner two pole holdin one and i wouls also.
Og and go to staple and get a jplastic jar of mint candy. Peopllw will come over to get a mint and while there either start talking or just frab a card. Ive had some flyer also with my pics of work.

Tou could have some item to sell such as 210 window vinyl cleaner waterproffer

Eaglewis

I have never set up a booth for anything but, I think it would be neat if people could see you in action. Like maybe have and old boat seat there that you would cover and recover and recover...... Maybe set times that you are going to be recovering that piece. That way you wouldn't waste a lot of fabric, staples, etc. Don't know if this idea is even feasible, but its just that, an idea.

Wade

timtheboatguy

Douglas MacArthur

JuneC

IMHO you really need some samples of your work to draw people in to talk to you.  I'd make a scaled-down cushion with corded boxing, mesh backing with snap straps, and maybe some double-welting on the face like the post Mike did just a day or two ago.  Canvas as well.  You probably don't have time to make a scaled down bimini, but even a winch cover with the inner skirt with bungee in the hem to hold it on will get some attention and showcase your sewing and design skill. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

June 02, 2012, 09:09:21 pm #5 Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:11:16 pm by Mike
So vow was the crowd? Maybe people?  And did you get any leads?
Food luck sunday and vefor tou go stop by stalles and get that plastic jar of mints  it realy suck peoplelover and tou can start talking. 

timtheboatguy

June 02, 2012, 09:11:30 pm #6 Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:13:41 pm by timtheboatguy
Thanks, I agree, just haven't had time to put much together this time. I am signed up to a local Octoberfest for a booth and hope to have something more like what is suggested above by then. I did not have a lot of action at my booth today but attendance was down, did however get a commitment from a boat dealer who has been dissatisfied with his current canvas guy.

BTW, The table cover is made of fourteen six inch wide strips of various types and colors of boat cover fabric with binding and webbing on ends, all seams carefully double stiched to show off my stiching work.

Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Ive got a few lic on my p. incant get right now they are of my booth inside shows and a outside set up. Beside my mini bimini and eindows i had a cushion as june  mentioned.  And  inyl color sample chartd and. An as charts i also have a colow sample
Of sunbrella that fans out like a color wheel of all the colors a eye cat her they alway look at oh i have that color. Theast few gear i did shows i watched the turnout fo down each tear till i didnt fo the past 4 years just couldnt justify the $600 about for the space  when inhad work still to do i issd to fill a notebook with leads to go see id spend the whole next week on calls and siz t produce any work. But my last tear i probly only made 6 leads. nd lost 4 days work sitting at the show.
Now i dont think i could handle trying to talk all fay as it fets. Erry tireing to talk  kw for me after a stroke 3 years ago meesed up my speech. Anyway confrats on the dealor lead. They still hVe thoose around? There knly one left around here   K had 4 dealor  lose up or move out marine max included