Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 04:22:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New use for the Jiffy steamer

Started by sofadoc, May 29, 2012, 11:05:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

May 29, 2012, 11:05:11 am Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:09:59 am by sofadoc
I don't know how many of you use the glue system like this one:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Glue_Guns/K-Spray_Glue_System/index.html

And the glue like this:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Adhesives_and_Sprays/Bulk_Adhesives/Rochford_Adhesive_Spray/index.html

The great thing about this system is that you don't have to clean the sprayer after each use.
But eventually, a clog will form around the nozzle.
I held the clogged nozzle up to the Jiffy steam head, and watched the glue run off like water off a duck's back.

Probably not a good idea to hold it there for very long, since the glue is combustible, but it doesn't take more than a few seconds anyway.

Now comes the part where you say "Well DUH, we already knew that Doc. ::)

Dang, my boots are full again.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Last year I went to a presentation from one of the Franklin (Titebond) Glue technical consultants.  He showed strength plotted against temperature.   All the common glues start to lose strength to less than 10% at points between 140 and 160F, well below that of steam.  I've also applied veneer by brushing PVA glue on the substrate, letting it dry, then using a regular iron to iron on the glue by plasticizing it and letting it cool.

Moral of the story: Steam will soften a lot of glues.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on May 29, 2012, 11:05:11 am
Now comes the part where you say "Well DUH, we already knew that Doc. ::)

I have used that system before and the biggest problem was the glue would thicken before I could use it all up.

The second problem was the tip clogging. I wish I knew your steam method before I gave it up. Makes sense though, because a good way to get glued on Dacron off a cushion is to steam it off.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on May 29, 2012, 04:35:06 pm
I have used that system before and the biggest problem was the glue would thicken before I could use it all up.
You can thin it with MEK, or just about any solvent like paint thinner, or mineral spirits.
I had the same problem with aerosol glues. The cans would go "flat" before I could use them up.

kodydog

I've never heard of MEK. I have tried paint thinner and mineral spirits but the smell is unacceptable IMO.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

MEK: Methyl Ethyl Ketone

You people and your sensitive noses ;)

gene

May 29, 2012, 06:48:36 pm #6 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:52:19 pm by gene
I'm going to recover a cornice board and I used steam today to take the gimp off the back. The gimp was held on with hot melt glue.

A potential problem is using steam to take off gimp or double welt cord that has been glued beside exposed wood. It can do damage to the wood finish.

Steam also works great on getting two dogs apart. You need to have an extension cord that reaches all the way out to the front yard, though.

I've never needed enough glue to buy a sprayer. I use the cans.

I dated a lady once who's name was Ethyl M. Ketone. I wonder if her middle name was Methyl?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!