Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 11:29:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Jo Ann's vinyl

Started by sofadoc, May 25, 2012, 02:10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

A local optometrist brought this seat in today. He said that it had only been 1 year since I covered it for him. He furnished the vinyl, which he bought  from.........you guessed it!

You guys can have Jo Anns and all their stupid-ass coupons.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

hdflame

I hope he didn't expect you to replace it under warranty.   :o

Maybe he learned a lesson and will buy his vinyl from you from now on!   ;D

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

gene

It's tough when an interior designer brings you stuff like that from JoAnns.

Earlier this week I bought 30 twist pins from JoAnns for $5.98 and I used my 40% off coupon. :-X

Tell the dentist that it's restoration upholstery and it's supposed to look like that.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

JoAnn's vinyl is probably OK for home dec. stuff.  But I've spent 20 yrs. in the marine aspect of upholstery and I can assure you the vinyl they sell in their stores is not adequate for a marine application.  I regularly hear, "I can buy vinyl for X amount at JoAnn's"; it does no good to say that what they carry isn't rated for marine use because all the customer hears/sees is the price. 

JoAnn's stuff has its place and for that place it's probably just fine.  But when you get into very specific uses its price quickly loses its luster when "failure" after one crummy year is factored into the equation of replacement cost. 

Ditto for the cheap-ass foam they sell!  And what they charge for crap that will conk out in a year/two isn't that much different than buying decent stuff from people like us. 

Eaglewis

I was one of them that asked "what's the difference?" Well after seeing AND working with quality for the last couple months, I can attest to the HUGE difference, as many, if not all of you. The quality isn't even close, you can see this by looking at the back of the fabric, loose pattern threads, etc. Plus the colors don't seem as crisp and bright. I've learned my lesson and have you folks to thank.

Keep 'em in stitches.

Wade