Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 04, 2024, 04:17:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Finally bought a steamer and am I ever glad I did!

Started by Pegasus2007, May 12, 2012, 03:19:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

I finally broke down and bought a Sharp steamer for $50 at Walmart.  I should have done this ages ago!  It's like  for foam!  I don't know how long cushions will retain the renewed shape but it sure makes them look better.  We are also steaming our cushion seams with it and it makes them look fantastic!  Also, no more wrinkley linen fabric!  I highly recommend buying one.  I know I probably should have gone ahead and spent the money for a good one but I didn't think I'd really be using it that often.  Wrong!  I'm using it every day!  This must be one of the upholsterers best kept secrets! Just be careful though.  The steam is HOT!

marko69

I'm looking for a steamer.  Was it a Sharp steamer or a Shark steamer? Which model?

Pegasus2007

Sorry about that.  Yes, it's a Shark Professional Fabric Steamer.  Didn't see a model number on it but the box says Shark Professional Fabric Steamer.

Mojo

I bought  Shark steamer at Walmart as well a month or so ago. Works great and for what little use I will give it is a perfect and cost effective answer to what I needed in the shop.

Chris

bobbin

A friend of mine gave me a Conair.  It's a "cheapie" but it didn't cost me anything, so "handsome is as handsome does"! 

I agree that a steamer is a very handy tool, and one too often overlooked by newbies "setting up shop".  I will limp along with the Conair, but will definitely make the move to a more professional model when the present steamer goes the way of all flesh...

Streaming is nice way of reviving old foam, but it certainly isn't a "cure all".  There is a point at which no amount of steaming will resuscitate old foam.  I presently have such a job on my bench.  The foam is "toast" but I'm to make new covers for it.  I've taken good measurements and have come up with the foam requirement for refoaming the covers I'm making. 

The owner is hoping to milk another 2-3 yrs. from the present foam; IMO he should replace it this fall.  He won't like the diagnosis, but that's not my problem.  He will have to replace the foam sooner or later. 

sunshine_n_pc

I just bought a Conair from amazon.com.....delivered free and no taxes....$25.  Compact model but not the travel model.....Worked pretty good for occasional use - wouldn't be happy with it if i was doing this fulltime.  Love me some amazon.

Mojo

This question may have been asked and I missed it previously in another thread but....how long do foam cushions last after they have been steamed and brought back to shape ?

Do they break back down quickly or will they last for several years ?

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on May 14, 2012, 05:10:25 am
This question may have been asked and I missed it previously in another thread but....how long do foam cushions last after they have been steamed and brought back to shape ?

Do they break back down quickly or will they last for several years ?

My guess is that the rejuvenation doesn't last very long. Certainly not several years.
It's a short term solution to a long term problem. I only steam foam on zippered cushions, so the customer can have the cores replaced when their budget allows.
But steaming foam under the upholstered cover is IMO like a used car dealer putting sawdust into a crankcase. The engine will purr like a kitten long enough for the poor sap to drive the car off the lot.
Sure, I've saved the customer some money (at least for now) by steaming their old foam.
But when their friends see flat cushions less than a year later, is the customer going to explain to them why they're flat? Or is he going to let them go on thinking that the upholsterer did a lousy job?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

One thing missing is not only steam but also a new layer of Dacron. Between the two I think a cushion will last several years.

I like to give new foam as an option. Unless the old foam is completely shot. Adding $120 or more to replace the foam on a sofa could make or break the deal. I tell my customers I can make the foam last a little longer and we can replace it later as needed.

I always wonder if later they forget about this deal and wonder why the cushions look flat after a few years. Or do they realize the sofa is old and foam doesn't last forever?

I have steamed foam and replaced the Dacron on my own pieces and they seem to hold up.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html