Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 03, 2024, 03:57:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Steaming foam

Started by sofadoc, May 10, 2012, 12:23:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

We've talked a few times about rejuvenating foam by steaming it. I was doing this today to 2 identical cushions, and thought I'd snap a photo of the difference. The one on the right hasn't been steamed yet:

I'm not sure how long it lasts, but it's a good way to get a better look when the customer's budget doesn't allow for new foam.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DBR1957

Always do it. For boat cushions it's a good way to demonstrate to the cutomer
that the foam needs to be replaced.

ahkahn

Wow.. impressive.  How long will it stay full like that?

-Andrew

bobbin

I always steam out foam, too.  How long the results last depends on how degraded the foam was.  Sometimes you can't get rid of all the compression, esp. on elderly marine cushions where water and mold have "had their way" with the foam. 

Mojo

WOW. That is amazing. I do very little cushion work so am not experienced with this.

What a difference. Thanks for posting Dennis.

Chris

Grebo

Yeh it's great fun popping all those dents out. I have had great success with reusing the old stuff. Particularly the more complicated shapes. Back rest's are good but I usually change the base cushions because they just get beaten to death.

Suzi