Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2024, 02:22:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Spets

Started by Mojo, May 14, 2012, 05:36:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

May 14, 2012, 05:36:36 am Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:10:14 am by Mojo
My brother was asking me yesterday why I do not do other types of upholstery work and I told him I chose to specialize in RV's. I went on to explain that there are very few stitchers who do all forms of upholstery work.

It seems we all have our own little corner in the upholstery world where we ply our trade. Some do Marine work, others automotive, some furniture, etc. I have never seen anyone who specializes in all areas.

Do you think we select our own specialty based on our interests or passions ?

I selected to do RV's because of my interests in and ownership of motorcoaches. What made you choose the segment of our trade that your in ?

Chris

mike802

Chris:  I first got started in upholstery because of my passion for auto restoration and customization.  I was just finishing up a Camaro and could not find anyone in my area to reupholster the seats, so I did all the other interior parts myself and it didn't come out to bad, but I wanted a profession job, so I decided to go to school, learn the trade and start my own business.

After returning home and working in my own business I soon realized I was not going to make it just doing autos alone.  I took in everything I could in those early years, cars, boats, heavy equipment, furniture, bikes, you name it, if it fit under my machine I did it.  MY mane eventually got around enough and I gained enough experience to decide just where I wanted to specialize.  I decided on furniture because at the time I wanted to build my own at some point, there was a much larger demand for it where I lived and it required a smaller investment, no bays, huge heating bills, or parking lot required.  Occasionally I still get some boat cushions, and a little auto work, but they now bring the stuff to me, no more pulling out seats etc.  After the last heavy equipment seat got my work area filthy, I am thinking about dropping it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mojo

I have no idea why this thread came out as " Spet's ". I typed in spets and hit the send button and it came out as Spets. WTH ???

I even went back and modified it and hit send and it still came out Spets. So I guess Spets it is........:)

Chris

sofadoc

JMO, but I think that anyone who tries to be "all things to all people" ends up spreading themself too thin.
I tried a few cars back in my younger, more ambitious days. They took me forever, and the job was mediocre at best.
I'd rather stick with what I know.

BTW This was NOT meant as a criticism of anyone who does do all types. If you are one of those who can "do it all", I bow to you. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

I started out with my own boat & it grew from there, so personal interest I guess.
I have always been 'messin about with boats' & wouldn't know where to start on a 'real' tacks & webbing upholstery job or a car refurb.
  ;D
Suzi

DBR1957

Quote from: sofadoc on May 14, 2012, 06:27:29 am
JMO, but I think that anyone who tries to be "all things to all people" ends up spreading themself too thin.

Exactly! I'm one of those guys whose really not afraid to try to fix anything. That's
bad enough as it is. But after a while people started coming to me with all kinds of
stuff.

Just yesterday a couple of young men were putting the mast up on their newly
acquired sailboat. Well, they lost control of the mast and it fell on their neighbor's
windshield and shattered one section. Someone suggested they see me. Da*nit.

While I have replaced them before I really like to stick to my #1 craft. Besides,
if you don't do it just right you can shatter the new piece. The new piece will cost
them $1,200 and freight. Not counting installation. I'm backed up to mid July and
really don't have time for this. It could go short and sweet or it could be a
nightmare especially if it wasn't formed exactly correct.

Thankful for the work but it always comes at the wrong time.