Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 05:15:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

No more recliners???

Started by Ageorge, May 03, 2012, 01:53:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

Ok...I just need to vent a little. I have decided that I really, truly, absolutely dislike upholstering  or working on recliners in general. I almost feel that the time I'm spending isn't worth it. I'm sure this gets easier, but after today, I may be done!! (Ok, I have said that before, but still :).

kodydog

We have priced recliners higher than you could buy new and people on the phone tell us so. That's OK we still get one or two a year.

Do they get easier? Just a little. After 30 years they are still a challenge. My wife swears they make them difficult so upholsterers won't reupholster them. It always amazes me how they use three pieces of fabric where one would do.

If there are certain pieces of furniture that you hate doing just say no. Your sanity is more important than trying to make every customer happy.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

There are some crazy ones that I simply price clean outta sight. But I still do at
least 2-3 normal ones a month. And I repair about 10 a week.
But the ones with the double tiered arms, and all the gathered sections that you can buy new for $399.....forget it.
While repairing them is easy money. Recovering them isn't very profitable. I don't even own one myself.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Ageorge

The first recliner I did was like that--big and puffy, double tiered arms, and probably could be bought for 300 bucks. I charge about as much as I would to cover a sofa and most people turn it down, but some still want it done. I have another one coming in soon and I am tempted to call and say I just can't do it...or perhaps after this next one just be done. I'd almost pay someone a 100 bucks to put the thing back together. That's the part I hate so much!

mike802

I have not done a recliner in years, I just started charging time and materials and the price was way more than new, if I cant get my hourly rate they are not worth bothering with.  I do a lot of repairs on them though and can easily get my shop rate on that.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

Quote from: Ageorge on May 04, 2012, 04:12:03 am
I'd almost pay someone a 100 bucks to put the thing back together. That's the part I hate so much!
Having the right tools to disassemble and reassemble recliners is almost as important as the sewing machine.
Here is my storage rack just for all the different bits and sockets necessary:

Here is where I store all the pneumatic and corded/cordless tools:

sofadoc

Here's my idea of a "normal" recliner:

I took in 3 of these today. They selected the blue swatch for this one. They still could've  probably bought new ones cheaper.
BTW That's George, my "co-worker" at the bottom right.

Chill

sofadoc, what is the tool, #28 in your photo bucket album? Looks like a type of staple puller.

sofadoc

Quote from: Chill on May 05, 2012, 09:56:15 pm
sofadoc, what is the tool, #28 in your photo bucket album? Looks like a type of staple puller.
I bought that staple puller off E-bay a few months ago. It looks like a light duty office tool. But it's actually quite sturdy. I use it on jobs that call for removal of every last staple, or when you need better control for getting out staples next to finished wood.

byhammerandhand

I made one similar to this a year or so ago.  It works well on certain staples and densities of wood.   A customer of mine showed me his that he got from a fabric supplier many years ago.   I had to buy a heavy duty staple puller at the office supply store, like this one.  Then I removed the shoe, spring, extra tongue, etc.  I stripped it to the part that hooks under the staple and the lever arm.   

http://www.amazon.com/BOSG27W-Heavy-Carton-Staple-Remover/dp/B002XJ8VGG

Quote from: Chill on May 05, 2012, 09:56:15 pm
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Chill

Thanks sofadoc and hammerand hand.

Eaglewis

Not to change the subject again but, sofadoc, do you have plans for your fabric cutting table? Love that setup.

Thanks,
Wade

sofadoc

Quote from: Eaglewis on May 07, 2012, 06:59:47 pm
Not to change the subject again but, sofadoc, do you have plans for your fabric cutting table? Love that setup.
Sorry, I didn't work from any plans. I just started building. It's 5' X 12' X 32". Particle board top with peel-n-stick floor tiles. I "winged it" on the fabric racks too.