Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 11:28:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Grand and glorious Dump Day

Started by sofadoc, April 28, 2012, 12:46:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

The last Saturday in  January, April, July, and October are citywide cleanup days in my town. You can haul everything to the disposal facility for free. I took full advantage.
This morning, I hauled off 6 sofas, 12 chairs, 5 recliners, and a 4 piece sectional in 5 trips. I also hauled off a mountain of small loose items. This frees up enough room for me to store 20 church pews until the church is ready for them (under construction).

I think Dump Day should be declared a national holiday. I like it better than Christmas. :)

I've always let customers drop off pieces for storage at my shop until they're ready to recover it. Most of them have the best of intentions, but then "Life" happens. And for whatever reason, some of them never get around to picking out fabric, and/or plunking down a deposit.
I've accumulated more excess items in the last couple of years than the previous 10. Must be a reflexion of the economic downturn that we've faced the last few years.

I've made a resolution to not be so accomodating with customers that merely want a free storage facility from now on.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

April 28, 2012, 01:29:42 pm #1 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:33:34 pm by kodydog
Its hard to turn down a potential job if you have the room to store it. But then a real job comes along and its time to purge.

Where I live, in the sticks, there is no curb side garbage pick up. Instead we have collection sites. And a big bin just for furniture. Problem is I sometimes come home with more than when I left. My wife's expression,  :o
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

April 28, 2012, 01:49:16 pm #2 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:52:54 pm by gene
I am a stickler for this: I take the furniture, fabric, and 1/2 deposit, or I take nothing. On rare occasion, like if someone is going out of town and they need the furniture picked up before the fabric arrives, I will make an exception.

I do not want a chair in my shop studio and find out that the fabric has been back ordered for 3 months.

National Dump Day? This sounds like one of Obamas' sot ideas: in order to save our planet, people will only be allowed to use the rest room once a year. (Sorry.)

genes

Hey, why in the H - E - double hockey sticks can I not spell s-o-c-i-a-l-i-s-t? It gets saved as "sot". I guess the government is controlling what we can type on the internet. I'm too old to go back to spray painting on the sides of expressway overpasses.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

Sofa., I am happy for you!  Nothing feels better than purging useless crap.  Several years ago I had the "talk" with the husband and he was predictably hesitant about my plan.  I gave him 6 mos. to deal with a designated pile of stuff... .  No result.  I put the stuff out at the end of our driveway and it was gone in less than 8 hrs.!  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good move!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on April 28, 2012, 01:49:16 pm
I am a stickler for this: I take the furniture, fabric, and 1/2 deposit, or I take nothing.
If my space were limited, I would've never let people pile stuff up on me like they have over the last few years.
But I have plenty of storage space. And it has provided great job security. Many customers want their furniture stored until their new home is ready, or they complete a remodeling project. They don't want to haul it to a mini-warehouse, only to have to bring it to me later on.
Like I said, most of them have good intentions.....BUT..... "The road to the landfill is paved with good intentions"   (OK, I may have misquoted). ;) 

Gene: How do you cross out the word "shop"?

Bobbin: I know how Mr. Bobbin feels. My wife threatened to set ME out by the curb.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

April 28, 2012, 04:12:08 pm #5 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:15:01 pm by byhammerandhand
add BBC tags strikethrough that looks like this S

There are all sorts of fun font options just above
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Uo in NH we had a free dump  urb pick up if you paid privatle.
I
Likes when the dump
Was a dump you backed up to a pile and let it fo i had a flst ed eith a dump now  tou could use it   
Here the dump is free but all segregated  metal here cardboar there furniture if food would enf up in the recycle store

JuneC

We used to have those "bulk trash pick-up" days once a quarter.  But there was so much dumpster (or curb) diving the weekend before, the city made it a weekly deal.  They'll pick up anything at all once a week (except construction debris).  I guess they got tired of the junkers rooting around the swale on those free-for-all evenings.  So, we have 4 trash trucks once a week - regular garbage, recycling (paper, cans, bottles), lawn trash and bulk trash (furniture, appliances).  Gotta love civilization!  8)

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields