Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 11:27:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Whatever happened to lighters and ashtrays in cars?

Started by TheHogRing, April 28, 2012, 01:38:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

When was the last time you worked on a new car that came equipped with a stock lighter and ashtray? If you're anything like me, you don't even know. That's because automakers started to silently phase them out sometime in the mid 90′s. By the 2000′s, most cars only offered them as optional features. Today, many cars don't even do that.

In the course of researching why that is, I came across two articles that are definitely worth a read.

Check them out: http://tinyurl.com/6nbhlh7

kodydog

April 28, 2012, 06:36:16 pm #1 Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:38:54 pm by kodydog
And what happened to the little vent window. You could open it just a crack and suck the smoke right out.

My 2003 Ford van has the smallest ashtray you have ever seen. I'm not a smoker so I use it so store screwdriver bits.

As far as lighters, I think they are mostly used for electronic gizmos like cell phones and laptop computers.

And how many smokers use ashtrays anyway. Most just flick it out the window. Some who do use an ashtray end up dumping it in the grocery store parking lot.  :(
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

jojo

Until they outlaw smoking altogether (which will never happen) they need to put ashtrays back in cars. Every day I see someone flicking a disgusting cigarette butt out the window. If I'm next to them at a light I always say "You dropped something". Gross.

DBR1957

It all started with DeLorean. I don't even think they were an option in that stainless
steel contraption.

byhammerandhand

I wish they would come back.  Just about every exit ramp with a light at the end of it has a large pile of butts and filters littering the curb.   I often wanted to hop out, pick up a lit butt and toss it in the litterer's back seat and say, "You dropped this."

Quote from: kodydog on April 28, 2012, 06:36:16 pm
And how many smokers use ashtrays anyway. Most just flick it out the window. Some who do use an ashtray end up dumping it in the grocery store parking lot.  :(
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I don't understand why butts collect along the edge of my driveway, even though me or my neighbors on either side of me don't smoke.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban