Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2024, 10:05:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Peel-n-stick snap studs

Started by JuneC, April 20, 2012, 05:10:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Bobbin's thread about leading edge for marine work brought this back to mind...  lAt Manart the other day picking up some stuff and they had these on the counter. 

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/New_Products/Hardware/YKK_SNAD_40mm_Adhesive_Domed_Stud/index.html

Says they sell a BUNCH of them.  I've seen them before, but was always suspicious of the adhesive.  Apparently they work.  S. Florida canvas shops wouldn't be buying scads of them if they failed.  Anyone out there have any first-hand experience with them?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

Are they clexable June.  Most time i have to place a stud on a curved area.
Me i think they must be large looking at the snap part seems big and fugly id rather see a stainless stud   But im set in my ways

Peppy

I think they'd sell best to the guy with a pulled out stud on his boat. He doesn't have a drill or popriveter (or the wherewithal) handy to put in a snap himself. Sell him a half dozen of these with his cover repair and he can put them in himself on the dock. Sure beats giving him a drywall anchor and a screw stud.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

Very interesting. I have never had much luck with any kind of adhesive in Florida. It seems they all work till the middle of the summer then they melt and run. I have to agree with Mike, they are big and fugly. :)

Chris

DBR1957

I've used these a few times for special applications. They are backed with 3M VHB
(Very High Bond) tape. Shouldn't have any worries about them coming off as long
as the surface is clean.

Miami Mike

June we sell a good amount of them. They just came out with one that is about the size of a quarter.  We have not put them in yet. Not cheap but they work well and the 3M Adhesive sticks like  :o. 
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

fragged8

Hiya

I really like the look of then , especially for fitting line pockets etc
but like mike says they aint cheap so that puts me off.

Rich

Mike

What is a line pocket rich?
Id be afraid if i used them that the surface wouldnt be clean  enough and down the line they sould dail snd id be responseble  a godd scre i Kn ow is gona stay

JuneC

I think they'd be great for snap-in cockpit carpets.  Not sure about other applications -- unless the customer really didn't want any holes drilled in his boat.  Even the small ones are ugly.  The shiny snap studs (and lift the dot studs) are so common on boats, no one takes a second look.  It's expected.  These will take some getting used to. 

However, IMHO, they'll be the cat's meow once they gain acceptance.  I've seen more than a few headliners soaked because some canvas person didn't bother to gob on the silicone sealer after drilling the holes for snap studs. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

Thats why if i can i use tye. Lios on the bottom of rhe window