Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 03:33:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabric Calculator

Started by Mojo, March 21, 2012, 05:00:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I just got this in my e-mail box this morning and thought I would share it in case some of you are
not on Sailrites mailing list.

They just came out with this fabric calculator to figure yardage on cushions of all types including those with boxing. You need to click on the icon in the center of the blue box at the top of this page.

http://search.sailrite.com/category/sunbrella-surlast-outdoor-vinyl-marine-fabric

No idea how handy it would be for you people but just thought I would post it.

Chris

fragged8

thanks Chris

Looks like a handy tool.

Rich

DDandJ

Regarding Sailrite:  Does anyone have any experience with their portable LS-1 and LSZ-1 sewing machines?

I love the idea of a portable walking foot machine.  They're a little pricey in my opinion.  Truth is, even though its portable, it would probably never leave my shop.  Don't know that I can justify the price.

Just curious if anyone fell head over heels for one?

Mojo

I have owned a clone to the LS1. I had problems from day one with it ( just ask the folks around here ...lol..). It sewed terribly. It was the first commercial machine I have ever owned. Chinese made and Chinese quality. Need I say more ? It was very finicky when it came to thread changes and I finally just used one size thread and needle on everything because changing threads and needles meant an hour of headaches. Once set-up it would sew great. But it was a royal PITA to get it there.

I will say one thing. That machine taught me a great deal about sewing machines and walking foots in general. I can pretty much do any and all repairs now on my big machines. So maybe it wasn't a complete loss. I still have it as a matter of fact, somewhere buried in my shed. :)

The Sailrite shares the same exact parts as my Tuffsew. Same exact machine but a different color.

Does this machine look familiar ? Kinda like an LS1 in drag ?  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Portable-Industrial-Walking-Foot-Heavy-Duty-Sewing-Machine-New-/220981877384?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item33738bda88#ht_13382wt_1396

Chris

DDandJ

Chris - Thanks for the insight.  A few months ago I thought I couldn't live without a Sailrite machine and talked myself out of buying one.  I have a Consew 206RB-1 that I sort of inherited.  The Consew is what sparked my interest in upholstery.  It's a great machine and has never failed me or been finicky.  I've used it on upholstery, handbags and the occasional pair of blue jeans that need repair  :)

I guess I can just mount wheels to my Consew if I want a portable machine!  Ha ha!

Mojo

H U G E difference between a Sailrite machine and a Consew. I am talking H U G E...........:)

Chris

Highvelocity

My Juki/chandler 241 has been bullet proof, but I think it was made in Japan not China.  I am seeing now there is a big difference.  The Tuffsew rear foot looked weak and flimsy...wasn't impressed.
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

hdflame

Quote from: Mojo on March 22, 2012, 03:39:34 am
H U G E difference between a Sailrite machine and a Consew. I am talking H U G E...........:)

Chris

Chris,

You still own your Highlead don't you?  Mine is still going strong and I have sewed some really heavy leather with it.  Been sewing 9/10 oz latigo to 2 layers of heavy tonneau vinyl using #22 needle and 138 thread.

Getting ready to buy a bigger leather machine.  Will sew up to 7/8" thick.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mojo

Bobby:

I own a Chandler and it is sewing great. No issues at all. I also added a Juki to the mix as well and love that machine. It was an awesome buy at $ 400.

Chris