Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 03:15:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Lacquer spray / fish eyes

Started by lc, March 05, 2012, 05:56:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lc

I am in a quandary on this .
Can someone tell me why the  lacquer spray finish is giving me fish eyes ?
I seem to notice it after we have used silicone in the other area of the shop..is this a coincidence ?

I stopped using the silicone and now it doesn't seem to happen ...they are sprayed in different areas ., can silicone travel in the air that far and is it really the culprit ?
I can't be imagining this .,it's a strange coincidence.

SHHR

It's the silicone. It will travel in the air all over the shop, another thing too your air compressor intake will pick it up and come out in your air supply that will get through most filter and water traps. I know of body shops who won't even let a car get waxed or detailed in the shop once completed out of fear of future paint contamination.
Kyle

RocketmanMH1

YES YES  YES,    It is the silicone!!!! It is a painters worst nightmare!!!!!  It can travel any where the wind can.  It will travel anywhere the wind does! Like SHHR says it will infiltrate any airspace!   The good thing is... PPG makes some very good products to flush silicone off of paint substrates, I'm not sure about unfinished or unsealed wood. Call your local PPG rep. or your local auto paint supplier and they will be happy to send you product info.

gene

Do a search on silicone and see byhammerandhand's comments about silicone.

I would agree that if you are spraying silicone, that will cause fish eyes.

Also, though, if there is any polyurethane finish on the wood, this will also cause fish eyes. Just give it a light sanding in this case. I wonder if a light sanding will also take care of silicone on your wood?

Here's a great song by Dr. Dimento to help relieve some of your frustrations. It works for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

You can add "fish eye eliminator" to lacquer to get it not to fish eye.   Problem is, this product is just more silicone,so you end up contaminating your equipment and space more.  And of course, this is not an option if you are using aerosol lacquers.  While I don't use silicone anywhere near the shop, I  regularly see it via Pledge furniture polish.  Evil stuff when it comes to repair and reffinish.

And yes, silicone will travel everywhere, including work surfaces, door knobs, tools, etc.   I say, "Silicone is like herpes; once you have it you have it forever."

A good solution for this is to spray on a couple of light coats of shellac.   This is effective is sealing it in.  You can use dewaxed bulk shellac (I like Zinsser's Seal Coat) or Bullseye Aerosol for smaller jobs.

There are also cloths you can get to rub the wood and do a good job of removing the silicone.   Sadly, they've just discontinued the industrial version and now all they carry is the consumer version, that you can usually find at Lowe's or Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

lc

That is absolutely amazing the way it gets onto every vent /space /crack and corner !
can you imagine what it does to our lungs ??   Mind you the lacquer is nasty too.
Refinishing in general can sure take its toll but I love the final results . I'm not a pro at it , I do very small jobs but I would love to learn on a more professional basis.

I don't think I'll use the silicone I'll find something else...nothing more frustrating than fish eyes !
Thanks for the input ...and Hammerhand I will try that shellac idea thats new to me thanks .

I have another question regarding the lacquer . I was taught the good old way with lacquer spray.
  I see they have a water-based one out there now.
Has anyone here tried it   ? and is it worthy as far as a nice finished look. Does it smell as wicked as the other old stand by ? I'm guessing not with being water based.
I'de also like to know any tricks as far as fillers , what is the best for absorbing stain ? I always struggle with this .