Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 04:30:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What is this spandex type material called ?

Started by lc, February 27, 2012, 06:30:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lc

February 27, 2012, 06:30:08 am Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:30:48 am by lc
I worked for a furniture store in Windsor years ago called Boycotts .
They make their own furniture there and have a large store display .,

I wasn't there for very long as my husbands job was downsized so we headed back up to the North Bay area.

Rather than springs on their furniture they used a spandex type material for the decks which was stapled to the frame with those huge crate type staples .

I don't know what its called , can anyone help ? They stretched it like a canvas going on an art frame.
I had never seen it before so I am also wondering is it as long lasting as springs ? or would it wear down quicker .

Thanks

sofadoc

I know the stuff that you're talking about. I think it lasts about as long as rubber webbing, based on what I've seen in teardowns.
This stuff may be more cloth than spandex, but give it a look (Dymetrol) Page 36 lower right corner:
http://www.pageturnpro.com/Progress-Printing/26266-DLT-Supply-Catalog/index.html#/36
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: lc on February 27, 2012, 06:30:08 am

I don't know what its called , can anyone help ? They stretched it like a canvas going on an art frame.
I had never seen it before so I am also wondering is it as long lasting as springs ? or would it wear down quicker .

Thanks

I don't know what its called but I know what you mean. Manufactures use it on really cheep furniture like Ikea or Rooms To Go. No it doesn't last as long as springs. It tends to sag or rip after a short time. Finding a solution is difficult because if you replace it with the same, now it becomes your problem next time it starts sagging. And if you replace it with springs you'll price it out of the ball park because it is cheep furniture to began with.

Whats the job lc? Maybe we can help.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

lc

I have a chair in the shop where there were supposed to springs at one time ., she had stripped it a long time ago and the springs went missing. duhh!!  heh heh
The customer mentioned this material ., she  didn't know the name of it either yet when discribing it I recalled
seeing it before . I told her I would look into it. She must have seen this down south somewhere ., She had moved up here from the Windsor area.

I really had my doubts about the material , it can't be as comfortable as the good ol springs .

I haven't come across it up here in furniture as yet and I know it'll eventally come around along with the other cheap stuff I've seen the past few years to try to repair.
I'm glad you gave me the heads up since you've seen it first hand .
I am going to talk her into going with the springs again or maybe Jute .,it's only a small Queen Anne style.

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html